Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a PowerPc Quad G5. I bought Leopard and went to install,

I have a PowerPc Quad G5. I bought Leopard and went to install, but it said to back my hardrive up first. So I ejected disk. Upon restart it spins on greyscreen at apple, fans run loud, and then it shuts down. None of the usual tricks work...any thoughts so I can at least back up the data. I saw on disc warrior that the data i need is there, but I cant figure out how to copy it.

Any help is appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I think you mean PRAM and that is a good first start.
Try a safe boot by restarting and holding the 'Shift' key down until the Apple and the spinning gear appear.
Then you can let go.
This will take longer than normal to boot and when it gets to the login screen you will know it worked if in red it says 'Safe Boot', login and let it finish loading, it will take longer than usual here also.
Then restart one more time normally and you should be good to back up.
Before you do anything more repair the permissions by opening Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.
graphic
Then do the following.
graphic
After that do the Leopard install.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried safe mode. It spins and runs for about 4 minutes and then shuts down.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Thats not good.
Follow the instructions here for resetting the PMU. This should allow it it to start up.Resetting Cuda/PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3
Sorry I was slow getting back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already reset PMU previously. I've done all the standard things. I can see my files in disc warrior in the preview, but it says I can't rebuild directory due to disk malfunction. It will not let me save the files to an external hard drive. I thought maybe there is something that leopard could have done. I just want to try and save photos music and logic files. I also thought maybe there is a way in single user mode or terminal to get it to boot.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
What you need now, and there is no guaranty that it will work, is Data Rescue.
If DW is telling you it is beyond repair then continuing to try makes it even harder to recover your data.
I have had very good results with that, I do suggest not doing anything more until you do this.
Once done the drive maybe reformatted to use again but I would not trust it because it may do the same thing again.
If it is the drive itself that has malfunctioned then you may have lost it all anyway, since DW can see files you have a good chance at recovery.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I will pick the recovery disc today and try. One quick thing, disc warrior does say via the "smart" check the drive is okay. Also it rebuilt the directory with no problem, it just says that it can't restore on same disk. So if I recover to a hard drive, what new drive should I buy for my Computer? I do want to replace it . Can I have mire than one drive internally. Also I can't find my start up disk for my g5... I only have my G4 iBook start up. But, I do have a back up of entire hard drive from a year ago, could I start up that?

I will accept the payment and I appreciate your help.

Sunne

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You have some options there. As far as more internal drives I think that machine is setup to handle 2-1.5 Gbs SATA, and with an additional PCI drive card it will take multiple drives.
You can startup from the old drive if you swap it with one of the internals.
You would need a firewire interface to boot from an external on a G5. If it were an Intel you could use USB.
I don't understand DW telling you it can't restore to the same disk unless there isn't enough room to do so.
This utility is quite handy for the specs on every machine Apple ever made.
Find your G5 and see what it can do.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.