Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

The CD drive on my MacBook does not work right. So I cannot

The CD drive on my MacBook does not work right. So I cannot download music to my iTunes and iPod (classic 33GB). I tried to use my mother's MacBook, but after I downloaded music to iTunes, I hooked up my iPod, but the iTunes would not synch up the music. Is there something I am not doing correctly? HELP!!
Hello, my name is Dan.
How long have you had your MacBook that the DVD/CD drive quit working on?
Can you tell me the version of Mac OS X is on both machines?
What does her iTunes tell you when you plug in the iPod?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dan,
My name isXXXXX have had both MacBooks for three years, my mom's CD/DVD drive works great, but my gave out about two days ago. We both have Mac OS X 10.4.11 . When I plug in the iPod to my mom's MacBook, it tells me everything the same as on my computer. But on my computer, it would automatically synch up when the iPod was plugged in. On her computer, it won't do anything, so I click on the Synch button at the bottom of the page, but nothing happens. I do NOT want to do "restore" because that will wipe out all the music I have on the iPod. I just want my mom's MacBook to synch up the music I have downloaded on her computer. I hope this makes sense. Hope you can help.
Erik
I suggest plugging it into your Mac and backing it up, then do what her iTunes wants. You can go back to your iTunes and put it all back with no harm no foul.
Is the iPod software up to date?
One other thing to try on your Mac is restart and hold down the 'Option', 'Command', 'R' and 'P' keys until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go.
This may bring your DVD/CD drive back online. This resets all the system busses like the one that drive is on.
Also make sure that the same version iTunes is in both Macs, this could contribute to the problem.