Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Trying to start up a new macbook for the first time. Startup

Trying to start up a new macbook for the first time. Startup shows a language box, with English highlighted. Unable to move beyond this language box to setup dassistant
Did you try 'Return'? Stupid question I know but you said you did not know what to try.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I discovered the solution: You have to hit the trackpad with a sledge hammer to advance. Just kidding, of course, but it does require considerable finger force on the trackpad--much more so than what was required with my Dell notebook.
Indeed, there will be more differences so proceed carefully and read everything.
This site will assist you in making the transition, about halfway down are many tutorials for many how tos.
Check it out.