Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I just downloaded new software for my new running forerunner

I just downloaded new software for my new running forerunner watch and Installer requires that i type my password. I have no idea what it is and it is not the same as my mad log in id and password XXXXX I reset that and tried it and it did not work. How do I find out or reset this authenticate password?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

The password XXXXX asking for is most likely your system password XXXXX with your User account on the computer. If you have multiple users, it should ask for this when you first turn on the machine. If you're the only user, then it probably logs you in automatically, and you don't use it that much. Anytime you install software it should ask you for this password, so we'll assume that's the one.

If you've tried leaving the password XXXXX blank, and have tired your common passwords to no avail, then we should reset it. This will require that you have the gray restore disc that came with the computer when you purchased it, or a Mac OS install disc.

Start by putting the disc in the machine, and restarting the computer while holding down the "c" key. Keep holding it until you see the Apple logo come up. Once it's done booting, you should be at the Mac OS install screen. From there, select the Tools menu option along the top, and the Password XXXXX option from that menu.

There you can select your user(if you're the only user it will be selected automatically), and fill in the blanks with your new password. When it asks about your Keychain, I always advise to select the option to create a new one. This keeps things simple. Once you're done, quit the Password XXXXX tool and restart. Let the computer boot up like normal, and try the installation again with your new password.

This should fix it, let me know if you have any other issues.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have searched for my discs and cannot find them. it is so frustrating. What do I try next?
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
You'll need either the gray restore disc, or any Mac OS install disc. Unfortunately, that's the only way to reset the password. If you know anyone with a Mac who might have those discs, they'll work with you computer.

Worst case scenario, you can visit your local Apple Store's Genius Bar, and they can reset it at no cost.