Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

WHAT IS THE BEST MAC COMPATIBLE CAMCORDER

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE BEST MAC COMPATIBLE CAMCORDER?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Most of all Firewire tape camcorders are compatible with Mac OS X. Mac OS X also supports large number of other camcorders like DVD, HDD, SD Card camcorders. If you want to edit and share the recorded video in your Mac , you can go for Firewire camcorders because you'll get great quality output with it. If you just want to watch the videos on your Mac and do small editings you can buy the HDD/SD Card camcorders. If you want to watch the videos without any editings, you can buy DVD camcorders.

(One of my favourite Firewire MiniDV Camcorder is Panasonic PV-GS320 )

Here is the list of camcorders that is supported by Mac OS X : Click Here

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer makes no sense....My camcorder has an SD card, the same kind I use in my digital camera. But when I put it into my MAC with videos on it, the MAC does NOT recognize anything from the card. I've tried numerous different cards...so there IS a compatability issue. I've done some exploring online and many are having this issue...I can't seem to find a solution
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
WHAT IS THE BEST MAC COMPATIBLE CAMCORDER? You asked which camcorder is compatible with Mac OS X and i answered it. You didn't say that you have an SD card camcorder.

Okay..Could you please give the model and make of your camcorder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a Panasonic SDR-S26. I'm in the process of buying another one as well, which I would also like to use with a MAC. You wrote ... " Mac OS X also supports large number of other camcorders like DVD, HDD, SD Card camcorders." Mine is an SD Card camcorder and IS NOT supported, so I'm confused by your original answer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion, i also posted the link to the supported camcorders list, Click the following link to see the camcorders compatible with Mac : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

There are many work arounds to make the camcorder work on Mac. So put you camcorder in PC/Playback or Computer mode and connect it your Mac. Now, can you see a white/yellow icon appears on the desktop ?

I'm going out, will come back in one hour..

Edited by Ashik on 1/1/2010 at 7:29 AM EST
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Did you see a white icon in the desktop when you connect your camcorder?

Edited by Ashik on 1/1/2010 at 8:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know you are offline right now...but when you come back on again....No, when I plug the USB connection cable, my MAC recognizes NOTHING! That's the issue here. I'm looking for a Camera which will actually be compatible with my MAC...and figure out how to get the pictures off of this SD card onto my MAC.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Which type of camcorder do you wish to buy ? HDD, SD or Tape ?

What is your budget ?

And about transferring contents from SD Card, just buy a Memory Card Reader, with Memory Card reader you can transfer all the files on your SD Card into your Mac. You can buy Memory cards at cheap rates (from $2-$10)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry this is taking so long....I guess I have to check to see if the memory card reader idea works...I'll do that tomorrow. This has nothing to do with your answer but I really don't get why MAC....that prides itself on the video/photo stuff, can't read a simple SD card with video on it.....just one more mac suprise, I guess.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
The problem is not with mac, but the Panasonic, they don't provide any softwares for Mac but they have for Windows. Even without any additional softwares, mac supports large number of camcorders, unfortunately not your's. Try the memory card thing..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I bought a card reader....it states that it works for a MAC....so, I plugged it in, the movie files come up in .MOI and .MOD format...neither of which my MAC wants to open....any other ideas?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You have to convert them into a Mac video format. So first download and install these softwares on your Mac.

MPEG Streamclip and
Flip4Mac

After the installation completed, restart your Mac. Then follow these steps;
  • Copy the MOD, MOI files to your Mac HD. Open MPEG Stream Clip Application
  • Then drag the *.MOD or *.MOI files that you want to convert into the middle of the the MPEG Stream clip's window (You may need to buy an Additional component from Apple to convert the files and it might cost $20.)
  • Click on the menu File and choose "Export to Quicktime".
  • On the "Compression" drop down option, choose the video output format, i chose H.263 (HD Quality)graphic
  • On "Quality", move the slider to increase the quality size. In "Frame Size", choose the best option you want and click the button "Make Movie". You will prompted to enter the destination place, so choose the place that you want save the converted file.graphic
  • You can see the converting progress
    - After converting completed, you can watch the video in Quicktime or you can edit it in iMovie

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All this you did not tell me.... if I had know that it would be such a hassle...I'm not sure I would have bought the little converter....$14.95 by the way. I'll have to think through whether I want to go through all this trouble.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
This is not very difficult, its very easy..Your camcorder is not officially supported but this is the only way to make it work on Mac. Let me know..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I click on FLIP4Mac i get to a windows site....when I then click on "downloads for MAC" it just shows a bunch of MAC programs I already have... I'm not sure what I'm exactly supposed to download at that link.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Download from here