Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

So.... 1) My dad installed Office 2008 on his two-year old

Customer Question

1) My dad installed Office 2008 on his two-year old intel-based iMac
2) During installation, he opted to keep the older version of Office on the computer when given the option
3) Now, some new emails come in to the old Entourage, whereas others come in to the inbox of the new Entourage (2008 version)

He'd like to just get rid of Office 2008. The question and the fear is, will that get rid of some or all of his previous emails?

What's the safest way to proceed from here?

Thank you so much.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
If you delete one of the copies of Entourage AND entourage is currently using POP3 to download e-mails, then some e-mails will be lost. Before you proceed, please tell me what kind of e-mail account this is. For instance, is this gmail, yahoo mail, mail from your ISP?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
According to the account settings, the pop server is "" . I assume that's the same as pop3.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Ahh, that's fantastic news. Gmail keeps a copy of every e-mail message that he sends or receives. You can freely delete either copy of office. He can go on the web to and log in and find any e-mail that he needs. He can even forward himself another copy of the message so that entourage will download it again.

In fact, he can use the gmail web interface at any time in lieu of Entourage for reading and responding to e-mail messages. I happen to find the gmail interface vastly superior to entourage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Awesome. I agree that gmail is superior, but my old man is, well, an old man. Old habits die hard, I guess!
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
I see you opened a new question, this isn't needed as I can still help you. Why can't you access the gmail account?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Long story. My dad forgot the password, the password XXXXX was unsuccessful, and when I finally did open the account, well, it wasn't THE account, meaning no emails were there. It's very strange, and probably can be attributed to my dad unknowingly sabotaging himself early on when setting up his email client.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Hmm, after you finally got in, did you try clicking on "All Mail" or searching for any messages? The account password XXXXX should have been stored in the keychain on your dad's Mac. If you open "Keychain Access" and look through the list, you should find the password XXXXX Entourage stored so it could access the server.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I'll check that out, but unfortunately I'm running out the door.