Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I was given a 500 GB USB 2.0 Expansion portable drive for

I was given a 500 GB USB 2.0 Expansion portable drive for Christmas;and as I read the system requirements at the back of the box, it appears to only work for Windows operating systems. Will this device be compatible with a Mac? I did not want to open the item until I was absolutely sure it would work.
Its hard to be sure, the only way to know for certain is to connect it. Generally speaking, USB drives work on both Macs and PCs. You'll probably have to reformat the drive after you connect it to your Mac. You do this using a program called "Disk Utility" after you connect the drive to the computer.