Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I received a mac notebook as a gag gift for christmas and there

I received a mac notebook as a gag gift for christmas and there are no disks or how to get into the OS got any ideal?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
What kind of Mac notebook is it? What operating system is it running? Where can I find friends who give me Mac Notebooks as gag gifts?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked under the battery and found a serial numer 4h6250jvu9c Is there any way to get into the system . I have been a pc user since the beginning.
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Ok, its a 13" Macbook. The best way to get in is using the install Disc to perform a password XXXXX If the system works, you should go buy a copy of Snow Leopard so you can reformat the system.

In the mean time, you can boot the system in single user mode to reset the password, but you'll need to know the username to do it. Here is how you do it:

1. Boot into single user mode (hold Command-S at power on until you start to see text on the screen)
  2. Type fsck -fy
  3. Type mount -uw /
  4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
  5. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replacing username with the targeted user and password XXXXX the desired password.
  6. Reboot
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the system only comes up with localhost:/ I have no name
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
If you don't know the username you can't perform a password XXXXX using Single-User Mode. You're going to need an OS X install disc to get this machine working.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the os x something that I can get second hand
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the os x something get from ebay
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
If you are in the US or any other country that sells Apple products you can walk into a BestBuy or an Apple Store and buy a "Snow Leopard Upgrade" disc. Its about $30 in the US.