Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I have a macbook pro that I am trying to connect to a linksys

I have a macbook pro that I am trying to connect to a linksys wrt54g wireless router and it will not recognize the WEP key as valid. Have multiple other devices already connected to the wireless. This should be dead simple. The only thing I can see is that the macbook pro does not ask me for a key number, just the key itself. WEP is 64 bit
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
I'm not entirely sure why it is rejecting it, but there are a few things we can try.

First, open the "Keychain Access" application and see if there is a keychain entry for your wireless network. If there is, go ahead and delete it. Then try reconnecting to the wireless network.

If that fails, Go to /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/

and delete the following files:

Then reboot the computer and try connecting again.

Regarding your network security. If your router supports WPA2, I would suggest that you change your settings to use WPA2 for security. WEP is, more or less, a joke when it comes to encryption and would take a hacker maybe 10 minutes to break if they wanted to.