Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hi, I recently purchased a HP Photosmart Premium series

I recently purchased a HP Photosmart Premium series - C309. I am attempting to hook it up to my Mac computer. I have attempted to go through the installation process with the Setup Wizard, I have made some progress but when I have attempted to print, it doesn't work. To me it appears that they simply are not communicating with each other. I am far from a computer expert - so maybe I have something plugged in wrong, I have no idea. Additionally, I need to get rid of the icon from my former HP printer that died and I don't know how to remove that from my system. Any help would be so much appreciated!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Is the software fully installed? All it was doing was trying to set up the printer?

To remove the old printer, go into the Apple Menu and choose System Preferences.
Click on Print & Fax. Click on the Printer name you want to remove. Click on the Minus- sign at the bottom of the listing. You may need to unlock the Prefs Padlock first.

Is the new printer listed in this window as well?

How is the new printer connected? USB? Wireless?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,
You asked if the software is fully installed? The answer is I "think" so but since I can't get the printer to work I am not sure.

I tried to follow your directions to remove the old printer. The icon for the old printer (hp 5180) is on the bottom of my screen with a bright red stop sign and "!", but not in the System Preferences box that you directed me to. It is still there on the bottom of the screen

In the System Preferences box I have 3 Icons that must represent the new printer C309 (probably because I attempted to install 3 times?) the first icon says "in use default" the second icon says " "idle" the third icon says "in use". I am guessing that I need to remove two of these icons? If so, which two do I remove? If they say "in use" then I can't figure out why it won't print. So my best guess is that something is not hooked up correctly and the computer and the printer aren't talking to each other.

You asked how my printer is connected - wires, not wireless. What does USB mean?

Hey Mike, Thanks for helping, I can only imagine what it must be like to talk a lady in off of the edge with hooking up her new printer! Your patience is appreciated.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Remove them all and then add it back in again using the Plus+ sign at the bottom in Print & Fax Preferences.

For the Dock icon, that red stop sign indicates it stopped printing. Just drag that icon up out of the dock and let it go on the Desktop. It will Poof away.

Once you have the new printer added back in, then try printing again..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike,

I attempted to drag that Dock icon onto the desk top but it just went right back onto the dock again!

OK, I think that I understand how to remove them all by highlighting and then hitting the minus.

I am not sure that I understand how to "add it back in again". To me it seems scary to throw all three away! Will I have to go through that whole installation process again?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No,

Just click on the Plus sign and follow along. OS X will take care of installing it, just click + and follow the steps.

For that dock icon, it should not do that. Try this, if you have a 2 button mouse, right-click on that icon and choose Remove from Dock. If only a single button mouse either hold the mouse button down on the icon until a menu appears, or hold the Control key down and click for the Menu. Choose Remove from Dock.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a single button mouse, I clicked and held it down and a menu did come up, however, remove from dock was not a listed option. My options are: pause printer, info, utility, scanner, auto quit, keep in dock, open at login, show in finder, hide, quit. Are any of those options useful?

Regarding that installation, I will take a deep breath and do my best to follow your directions!

Please keep in touch
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Choose Quit. It can't be removed from the dock because it is not technically there. Thats why one of the choices is Leav in Dock. It would change to Remove... if it was stuck there.

Let me know how it goes with the setup again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike,

I clicked them all and removed them just like you said. Then I clicked the + and it said "click + to add a printer or fax, so I hit +.

Next a box came up with 3 choices:
HP Photosmart Premium C3o9g-m Kind: USB
HPo71864 kind: Network Printer (HP
Photosmart Premium C309g-m (071864) kind: Bonjour

Which one do I choose?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

You can choose either one. Since it is connected via USB, I would choose the first one. The Bonjour choice is for Wireless printing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike, Mike! It worked! I tried to print something and it worked! The little icon at the bottom of the dock is gone too! I am so happy! You put and end to my torture that has been going on for 3 weeks! Thanks!

Is there a way that I can request you again if I need more help? I live out in the country so help is not readily available. How about help with my Mac if I ever need it, can you help with that too?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Glad to hear it works.

You can request me by saving this link in your bookmarks and then ask your question on my Profile page.

I work only on Macs and some printers/networking.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting