Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

what application should I choose to open a usage.data file

Customer Question

what application should I choose to open a usage.data file?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Where do you find this file?

I cannot locate anything with that name and need to know at least what created it to beging here.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MacintoshHD/Llibrary/Application Support/Apple/Parental Controls/Users (then I click on my teenager's account to view the log because I cannot see the websites visited on the log
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

I don't have that file to test with.

You are trying to view the History of visited web sites by looking at usage.data? Where did you find that this file was where the History was stored?

I cannot find any references to it as the source for history details. It would be human readable if that were true.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is anything in there to read. You need to log into the account and look through the History of the browser.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the history has been cleared how do I recover?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Not sure.

Parental Controls are not that great. There may be a setting for keeping them out of the preferences in Safari. That way they cannot get in to remove or erase History or make many other changes.

I don't use PC myself. I had too many issues with regular apps/pages etc... not working that I finally sat my kid down and told her that I would be checking everyday what she is doing, that I use Remote Desktop to watch her on the computer and will flag ny and everything she does wrong.

Explore the settings and see if there is anything more restrictive as far as settings go.

You can also install a spy that will watch all they do and keep a log. Then you can check up on them that way.