Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I had a hard drive crash and had to reformat. My iPhoto library

Customer Question

I had a hard drive crash and had to reformat. My iPhoto library is stored on an external hard drive. I've opened iPhoto holding down the "option" key and navigated to it, but it won't open and give me the message: "The photo library was created with an unreleased version of iPhoto." and then says something about using iPhoto 2 or 4 to open it. Can you help me? I've got thousands of photos I need to access. I'm running Snow Leopard and the latest version of iPhoto Thanks...Neal
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Would it be possible for you to create a new folder on the desktop then copy your iPhoto library from the old drive to the folder on your desktop.

Once the library is copied can you then drag the existing iPhoto Library folder to the desktop then launch iPhoto and In the next window that opens choose to create a new library.

When the new empty library opens can you go to File/add to library and tehn navigate to the library on your desktop and choose it and then see if it will import the library and recreate it for you?

Let me know if that does not wrk.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...I've been out of town.

I did this but it still didn't work. After I import them, it says "Unreadable Files: 2821. The following files could not be imported. (The file is is an unrecognizable format)." I have 2,821 photos, so none of them were imported.

I had actually already tried this (I'm a very experienced Mac user...got one when they first came out in 1984). Any other thoughts? Thanks...
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

What is the current version of iPhoto you are running and do you know what version you had prior to the crash?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm running 8.1.1 now and I was running 8.1 before my hard drive crash.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you run your mac updates are there any updates available for iPhoto and let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Version 8.1.1 is the latest version of iPhoto.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you create a new library file then drag and drop your photos in small batches into the iPhoto window does it take them or does it error out?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I create a new library file?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you close iPhoto then drag the existing iPhoto Library folder to the desktop then launch iPhoto it should pull up a window that gives you the option to create a new library.

if that works you should end up with a blank iPhoto library just as you tried before, Except this time instead of trying to drag the whole old library folder into iPhoto can you try opening the file and dragging groups of files to the new library.

If it wont give you the option to drag groups and only gives you the one main file can you hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard then open iPhoto and keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library, Then see if you can select the old library from the desktop and rebuild it.

Let me know

Thanks