Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

just bought a new macbook 13 and would like to connect it

Customer Question

just bought a new macbook 13" and would like to connect it to my old macbookpro 15".
would like to use macbookpro as "desktop" and use the small one on my trips.
2nd ? how can i uninstall apperture from my macbookpro?
thanks
amy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Hi Amy,

Can you tell em how the macbooks are connected to the internet?

Also can you tell me are you just wnating to share files between the two machines and is there a reason you want to remove Apature?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Eric,

i have a wire-less connection for internet.

i would like to remove aperture on my older macbookpro as it takes up so much space.
at the moment i'm down to 7gb storage space..... removing aperture would free up a lot and hopefully make it a little faster.

i have installed aperture on the new macbook, which will be traveling with me and my camera.... there is lots of empty space there.

thanks for you help

regards

amy
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

What type of router do you have and is there anything else you would like to move to the new machine such as iTunes etc?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
linksys broadband router.

actually, everything is already on my new computer. the apple shop moved all my apps and docs to the new macbook.
i did not ask them to remove anything from the old one because i wanted to make sure all was there before removing anything.
trouble is.... i live in singapore and there is no apple shop here.... just resellers. i bought my macbook in zurich switzerland at the apple shop. they would be more than willing to help with my questions but my stay in switzerland was too short and i try to avoid traveling with 2 laptops....

hope this helps, thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

That is what I needed to know

To remove Aperture can you drag the application itself to the trash then find and delete the following folders and files:-

~\Library\Preferences\com.apple.Aperture.plist
~\Library\Caches\Aperture\
~\Library\Application Support\Aperture\
\Library\Application Support\ProApps\Aperture System ID
\Library\Application Support\Aperture\

Once you have done that you may also wish to download a free application called Disk inventory X from here http://www.derlien.com/index.html this is a great tool that will show you what is taking up space on your drive.

Once that is all done can you tell me if you are looking to share files from machine to machine or just want the ability to move them from one machine to the other?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi eric,
i did as suggested and have now 41gb worth of space.... so aperture was really taking up most of my space.
am downloading disk inventory now.... wow....this is really enlightening!

i would like to synchronize the following applications:
-mail
-ical
-itunes
-address book
-bookmarks from safari
and if this is possible iphoto.

Thanks for your help
amy
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Do you have a Mobile Me account?

If not you may wish to take a look at what it can do for you http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

The reason I suggest it is that it would be the best way to keep everything automatically in synch for you so that even if you are on the road with your new machine you would be synched at all times, Also God forbid something happened to one of your machines while you were travelling, You would still have a full synch to the point when you had issues so you could recover from the issue

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
am a mobile me customer.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

In that case you can just use the Mobile e to sync your mail, Calendar, Favourates, Notes etc.

As for your iPhoto I would look at something like Fatcats iPhoto Library manager http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ this would allow you to synch your iPhoto library whenever you want so both macihes would have the same content.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
perfect, thank you very much for your help and have a great day..... will certainly find you again with more questions.
best regards

amy
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

More than welcome,

If I can be of any help in the future or if you need any help with your current project just let me know

Thanks