MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I think someone changed my mac password so when i went to change

Customer Question

I think someone changed my mac password XXXXX when i went to change it cause i knew someone other than myself had it, it wouldn't let me. how do i change this back??
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)

• Are you referring to your Mac password XXXXX accessing your user account, is the one you believed someone changed.

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Version 10.5.8

They changed my administrative password. So i i were to log off i would not be able to get back on my computer at all.
Thanks for your update.

What I can provide you in a way of resolving this issue will require you to have your Mac OS X installation disc for Leopard.

Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
you will need your Mac OS X installation disc, then all you need to do is:

• Place your installation Disk (Tiger or Leopard I presume) into your drive and
allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard
and hold it.
• You will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you
see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disc to
continue loading

(Works for both Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard))

• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will now be in the
Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near
the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.

• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password XXXXX Installer and reboot.
• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX you should be back into your home profile.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By doing this will erase all my pictures, music and documents already stored on my mac?
Thanks for your reply.

Absolutely not. The password XXXXX utility, is a simple application feature from your Mac OS X installation disc, which simply allows you to change your Adminstrator password XXXXX it is either forgotten or changed for reasons such as what you have stated.

You are just changing your access into your user account, not any of the files, folders or applications in your user account.

Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So i did as you instucted and it worked but it kept asking for the keychain password. So i went to the apple icon, then to system prefrences and then to accounts. There i changed the password XXXXX a note popped up stating that the password XXXXX just entered would now be the same as the keychain. So i thought awesome! Then it asked for it and i entered the password XXXXX changed to new and it wouldnt take it!! So i looked up online how to change the keychain password XXXXX it gave me this

1. Open Keychain Access (you can get to it by choosing Utilities from the Go menu in the Finder).
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Change Password XXXXX Keychain "login."
  3. Type the former password XXXXX the account that you are currently logged in to, then click OK.
  4. If you entered the correct password, a new window appears; enter the original password XXXXX in the Current Password XXXXX
  5. In the New Password XXXXX type the password XXXXX matches your current account password.
  6. Re-enter the newer password XXXXX the Verify field, then click OK.

I don't remember my original (former) account password

If this is the case, you'll have to delete the keychain.

1. In Keychain Access, choose Keychain List from the Edit menu.
  2. Delete the "login" keychain.

The next time you log in to the account, you can save your current password XXXXX a keychain.

- so i did the second part "the dont remember my keychain password."

and now i cannot log on to any of my internets. Ugh what's the deal with this!!

I am glad you took the initiative to try this additional stepCustomer

However, my only regret is that you did not bring this procedure to my attention first to show me what you tried, because I could have told you if this process would have worked or not.

I actually could have provided you a way around this which may have been more helpful for you. But that is ok, because we have to get this issue fixed now.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to start with a blank keychain access login.

To do this:
• From your desktop,
•Click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Utilities from the
drop-down menu. This will take you to your Utilities folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Keychains folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file:

Once you remove the login.keychain folder, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon and select Logout <username>

You will then be taken to the main login window. From here simply log back in to the same user account you just logged out from.

Once in your main desktop, you will need to go to Accounts in System Preferences and repeat what you were attempting before.

If or when the keychain password XXXXX pops up, use the same User Admin password XXXXX you used to log back into your user as this is what Keychain Access will be looking for.

Once you enter that user password XXXXX Keychain should accept the password XXXXX not pop up again.

Keep in mind- removing the login.keychain file to the Trash, then logging out and back in will create a brand new keychain file so you will have to reactivate all of your internet/website logins just once again and keychain will add them back into Keychain Access's repository.

This is one work around, so I hope it works for you. If it does not, just let me know, I have more processes in store to assist you.

Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So i did what you said and it still for some odd reason will not connect to the internet. it says the password XXXXX'm entering is incorrect when i know for a fact it's not. i have another computer and it connected to the internet just fine. What does this mean, is this my mac's fault or the internet company?
Good questionCustomer

What I need to know is what application are you attempting to open when you get this message that your password XXXXX XXXXX?

I believe your answer to this question, will allow me to work more efficiently in isolating the possible culprit for this issue.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand you are working with Safari, however, I need more specifics.
Are you experiencing this password XXXXX when you attempt to log in to a specific website or online service?

That is what I need to know, because Safari is just your web browser. Not if you launch Safari and you are getting that keychain password XXXXX pop up - then that I do need to know.

Hang in there, we are closer to getting this resolved than you may think at this timeCustomer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's just online service, the key chain dosnt pop up anymore. Everytime i try to just get my mac to connect to basic internet it says the connection timed out
Ok that helps thanks.

Now are you using DSL or cable for your internet services and if so, who?

I need to get as much information as I can, because depending on the service you are using I am usually able to tell what the issue may be.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
at&t 2wire
ThanksCustomer That is what I already thought in regards XXXXX XXXXX online service.

What you can do for me now, so we can check your online service, is to click on
the Apple menu icon and select System Preferences.

From System Preferences select Network and this will enable you to see if your AT&T 2 wire service is active or showing as "not connected"

If it is, then that is what I need to know because that could go either way, as an issue with your physical connection to be able to go online, or that there is an issue from the service side of AT&T/2wire.