Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

my macbook pro has stopped recognizing my simpletough drive.

Customer Question

my macbook pro has stopped recognizing my simpletough drive. It has all my data on it. what can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Turn off and remove the drive from the USB/Firewire cable.

Turn it back on and wait for it to come ready. Pick it up.

Is it making any noise at all?

Turn it off and on again (wait after turning it off) and listen again. What sounds if any, do you hear?

Plug back into the Mac while still on/running (if it is silent and making no noise, stop here... the drive or Power Adaptor have failed).

Go to your Apple Menu and choose About this Mac....
Click on More Info...

In here, look down the list on the left. Click on either USB or Firewire, depending on how your drive connects to the Mac, and then look on the right side. Does the drive show in any of the Busses?

BotXXXXX XXXXXne... If no noise when powered on... Drive is NOT spinning and therefore may be physically damged or the power adaptor is not providing enough power to start the drive.

If noise, but not showing on Desktop... bad controller/bridge board in the case that is preventing the drive from communication with the Mac. Replace the case.

If noise, but not showing in System Profiler (More Info... button) then bad controller or bad cable, power adaptor is failing. Replace any and try again.

If noise is clunking/scraping/multiple clicking and then silence, then drive itself has suffered a failure and needs repair/replacing.

Let me know what you find. Then we can narrow it down,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think we're talking about the same device. At least, I don't think I can detach the USB cable from the device and it doesn't have an on/off switch. (it is a Hitachi SimpleTough, the cable is kind of ribbed) I will try the other steps to see if that helps. It is in fact lighting up and making noise. BTW, I am traveling in Germany so I am 6 hrs off from you, which is why the delay.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ahh. Ok. No problem.

Let me know if any other steps work. Making noise is a good thing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think I can accept this answer because it's still not clear to me that you know which device I'm talking about. In any event there seems to be an issue with the power cord and in certain configurations it works just fine.