Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

my isight in built camera will not operate for you tube or

my isight in built camera will not operate for you tube or skype or Ibooth
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
First, there are a few questions I'd like you to answer so I can better help understand the problem. The more detail you can provide, the easier the troubleshooting will be.

1) What type of Mac (ie iMac, PowerBook, etc) and how old is it?

2) What is the Operating System (ie 9.2, 10.5.8, etc)? This info can be found in the apple menu, "About this Mac".

3) What have you done already to try to fix the problem?

4) Have you recently installed anything new, updated the computer, upgraded OS or software?

5) Did you start noticing the problem after a specific event took place?

6) Go to Apple menu > about this mac > more info. Under USB, does it have the iSight listed in the menu on the right under High Speed Bus?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Mac book 5.2
2 10.5.8
3. skpe pref, youtube record a response maybe problem source or
4.I have snapz
5.it went off then i fixed it by clicking on youtube record a response then it went off now
it isnt possile to do the you tube thing as it just keeps looking for camera
6. yes it does
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
What browser are you using to "Record a Response"? Try Safari and Firefox. Does it error in both?

Are you able to access the iSight in a different program? Or is it dead in the water in all programs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi travis
neither safari or firefox
its dead in all programs

Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long email so I suggest printing it out for your reference.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and check the iSight in a few different programs.

If it is still not working, then we'll need to reset the PMU / SMC. For this I'll need the serial number on the machine so that I can gather the appropriate method of reset for your specific model. The Serial number is XXXXX the apple menu > about this mac > more info.
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Travis, good job the camera is back on after steps 1 and 2 thanks have a great life!
Expert:  Travis replied 5 years ago.
Glad I could help! Let me know if you have any further questions. You can always ask for me by name. I'd be honored to help again.