Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I just tried to transfer my Quicken Data to a new external

Customer Question

I just tried to transfer my Quicken Data to a new external hard drive.
When I tried to open Quicken on the new drive I get an error message "error code 10657". Why won't it transfer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Confused about what you are asking.

Is the transfer of the Quicken data file not finishing?

Is the transfer finishing, but Quicken will not load it up now?

Any error messages other than the code above?

Is the external drive formatted for Mac or PC?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The application file on the new external hard drive indicates that everything has transferred, however when I click the Quicken icon I get the above message and nothing opens. Since I have never been able to copy any files out of Quicken, I suspect the problem might be within Quicken, but I thought when I transferred everything to a new backup hard drive I would have my data backed up and accessable.
I am using the 2003 version of Quicken, however when I moved the files last year from my old iMac to my current iMac (7.1) every thing transferred without a problem.

The new hard drive is Mac fomatted
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Are you moving the Quicken Data files? Or the Quicken App itself?

The Data file is just one file according to my files and where my test quicken is located. When you open Quicken, do you point to the external drive to open the file (File menu - Open File)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you're asking, all I did was transfer all my information from my iMac to the new hard drive and tried to open Quicken the same way I did on the iMac itself.
Did I miss something?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

If you did what I think you did, you may have done it wrong.

Where are the file(s) now? Do you have them on the external AND the internal drive?

Was it the Quicken App and its folder from the Applications folder? Or did you only move the '.qdfm' file from its location?

Open Quicken. Go to the File menu and choose Open File...
In here, click on the external hard drive name. Does the file/files show up? If so, open it. Does it open correctly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot open quicken on the new hard drive so cannot get to "file"
On the iMac there is no indication under open file of an external hard drive
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Go to Open File and then click on the drive icon in the left sidebar:
graphic

Mine is called Mac Repair Utilities...

Yours will be there as well.

Click on that icon and then look for the file on that drive.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no "Mac repair utility " in that column, but I did see the external drive icon there
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

MY drive was called Mac Repair Utilities. Not yours.

It was an example.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I clicked on the backup icon, followed it thru to the Quicken icon but it was grayed out so would not open
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Backup icon?

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

Do you still have your Quicken all on the original drive?

If so, we need to figure out just what it is you have and then copy over what is needed.

I think you have too many things confused and the wrong things copied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Quicken is on the iMac and works just fine.The external hard drive ,under applications, indicates Quicken is there also. However it will not open. If for some reason I lost my data on the iMac, it appears my external hard drive would be of no help replacing it.
My reference to a "backup icon" is the icon that identifies the external drive.
Yes , I am confused but hoping to come out of it with your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok, Where was the Quicken file, not the application, the file stored? It is the qdfm file I mentioned above.

Find that file and any others it is with and we will start there.

Leave Quicken, the Application on the main hard drive. Do not copy it over. Only the data should be moved.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike, I think we're at an impasse.
I have no idea where that file is or where to look. The only place Quicken shows up is under applications. I've used "find" with no success
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
hi,

The data is not called Quicken.

Try a search for the qdfm extension. See if that locates the file.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried every combination I could think of to "find" qdfm or qdfm extension with no success
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Do you have any idea what you called the data file? It defaults to Quicken Data, but you must have changed it. Do you know the name?

If not, then what all did you copy over? The data file may be there. you will have to go through the folders and look for a Quicken Data file, it will have the Quicken icon on it and look like a document page.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no idea where (or how) to look for what you are suggesting
As I said we are at an impasse.
I have no idea where to go next.
I appreciate the time you were involved and am hitting the accept button
so that it wont all be for nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry about this.

Thank you for the Accept and good luck with it.