Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

hello Maccers I am having problems down loading songs and

Customer Question

hello Maccers:

I am having problems down loading songs and videos; they take forever...
I run a 4.11 Power PC Imac 5, with 1.6 GHZ Processor and @ 1.25 GB Memory.
Can I increase my memory on this unit and if so, will it help speed things up?

Thanks,
OB K Noby
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell us where you are downoloading the songs and videos from, is it iTunes or somewhere else?

Also can you tell me what type of broadband modem you are using or what type of router?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mostly Itunes, yes.

my modem is a Siemens Gigaset SE567 with wireless ADSL gateway
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me how your machine works in general, is the machine slow or does it run ok apart from when it is online?

Also can you tell me how much free space you have on your hard drive?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
works fine 'in General'; even on line...

tried to find how much space is left.... where do I go again to find that info?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

If you open the Mac HDD icoon on the desktop then select your macs hard drive the used and free space will be listed at the bottom of the window.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did already look there; an array of files show up. like applications....(but not)
at the top: Audio CD, the Google Earth; IMovie; office; all the way down to Users; utilities; installer log file; system folder; a MAU1.2.2 Update Log being the last.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

The first thing to try is a Safe Boot, To do this can you shut the machine down then wait 5 seconds and power it back up.

As soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the SHIFT key and keep it pressed till the machine shows the load wheel below the Apple icon then let go and wait up to 30 minutes for the machine to open to the Safe Boot login.

Login like normal then restart just like normal from the Apple menu and once your machine has rebooted let me know if the machine runs any smoother.

Then can you download a free application called Disk Inventory X from here http://www.derlien.com/ and use it to tell me how much space is taken up on your drive and how much free space you have, This tool can also tell you what is taking up all the space on your drive so let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get it : Info is outside the box in the bottom frame....
37 items, 24.53 GB available
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Has the Safe Boot finished?

If so is it any smooter now?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RU talking to me? OBKANOBY?
what do you mean "has the Safe Boot finished?" "is it any smooter now."

Please check my questions re uploading music and videos.
Thanks. How much longer will this take?
Do you need any more info?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Did you read my post above about starting by performing the safe boot process?

If not can you you shut the machine down then wait 5 seconds and power it back up.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I try to this, will I be able to contact you again?
What do I do?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Just come back to Justanswer.com and it will bring you back here so we can continue, or just bookmark this page and you cna then come back here directly.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay 'Claws 224'
later,
OBIKANOBY
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

keep me posted,

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry about this; as far as I know, I already did this!
As per below, I clicked on the accept and it took me to make my PayPal payment (I believe, I remember correctly) and I paid; I even acknowledged your help was useful (it worked); so please, I don't know what went wrong! I am clickung "Accept' one more time. If it takes me to PayPal again, I will of course NOT pay again. Hope this works! Her I GO!
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,

Did the safe boot work and speed things up for you?