Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I just recently updated my PowerMac to Leopard. Here are my

I just recently updated my PowerMac to Leopard. Here are my specs:
Power Mac G5 Quad
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 4
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 4 GB

I am running OS 10.5.8.
I just opened iDVD and it says it doesn't work with this version. iDVD 5.0.1 is what I have.
I downloaded iDVD 6.0.4 and when I go to install it it gives me an alert that says it can't find a compatible version of iDVD. I also have Final Cut Pro and do video editing professionally.
I just didn't want to upgrade to Leopard because of working with an older version of FCP. I didn't have money for the pro-upgrade and still don't but was tired of being behind the pack.
Is there a version of iLife I in between the 2 above versions of iDVD that I need to by.
Sometimes I just can't keep up!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
The newest version of iLfe will run on your system with the exception of GarageBand.
Here are the official requirements.
iDVD is looking for a copy of iDVD to upgrade and it needs a certain version to do that with.
You may need to run updates on iDVD 5.0.1 to get to where the upgrade to 6 will work or it may be that iDVD is not where the upgrader looked for it. I would try relocating the iDVD and see if that helps.
Snow Leopard 10.6 will not run on your machine. It requires an Intel.
The OS is as high as it can go on the G5 and you still have a nice machine.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already knew about the Snow Leopard machine, cause I don't have the intel chip, right?
By relocating it what do you mean. I moved it to the trash already and tried installing and it gave me the same alert. It automatically looks in my apps folder for iDVD. Where do I get updates for 5.0.1? I'm assuming I'll have to buy? Might seem like a simple question, but I just don't have the time to do research as I need to burn a DVD for a client today. After you answer this, I will accept and pay.
Thanks!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You trashed iDVD 5.x? That is the problem. The one you are trying to install is looking for it so that it can upgrade it.
At least that is what it sounds like with the error it is giving you.
If it is still in the trash then drag it back to applications and try again.
If you have emptied the trash then dig out the disc it came on and reinstall it so the newer version can do its thing.
I do not think that you have the full install version of iDVD and usually that does not matter but in this case it does.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry man. I guess I didn't explain right. I dragged it to the trash and then put it back (didn't empty trash) . I have the full version of iDVD and FCP Studio with all apps, also QT pro. What I need to know is if there is some version in between 5.0.1 and the version that I have on my desktop 6.0.4. This should be last reply. I just wanted you to fully understand the situation. I couldnt find where to download the version between (even if I have to pay and if there is one). What am I doing wrong?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I do not know if there is one between the two, I have not seen one and I have every version there is.
I guess I am not getting what doesn't work with what version.
You might try dragging the plist out of the preferences folder. That may be where the hangup is.
I suggest using spotlight to find it as the preferences folder can be hard to read.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.