Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

computer Powerbook G4 15 inch A1095. Running leopard (have

Customer Question

computer: Powerbook G4 15 inch A1095. Running leopard (have full disks) and when my wife tried to revise to latest revision (10.5.8 I think) she gets a lock up of the process (Downloads OK but VERY SLOW) It just seems to stall out. Soon after the first time she tried, the harddrive failed. After a new harddrive and a fresh install of leopard, we are getting same result. Is there a revision that we should not go beyond, or is Apple having MS type problems?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

I am unsure of what the problem here is. What are the symptoms?

Are you using a certain application and it is failing?

Is the Mac just not working right?

Please explain the problem in more detail.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have you carefully read my question? I will repeat, Computer works fine until attempting to update to newest version 10.5.8 and it hangs up or stops during process of update. The bar just stops less than halfway across. ( this is for actual update, the download is slow but works) We can force the computer to stop, restart and it still works with the earlier version, so it is not getting far enough to do damage. What I want to know is whether there is a limit on the leopard update available on the Apple official website that this computer platform cannot not go past. (powerbook, alluminum, G4, 15 inch, A1095) I know this platform cannot acept the new Snow Leopard but I am not trying to do that. The problem is that the Safari update we attempted to install says it needs the update. It did this before, but the hard drive failed soon after. This is with a fresh install of Leopard on a new harddrive and using the standard update utility in Leopard. I do not think this caused the harddrive failure.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It says you got Leopard installed on a new drive, but that is where I get am confused.

What is the error you get? Are you waiting long enough for it to complete?

Try this link and installer instead of Software Update.

10.5.8 is the upper limit for that Mac, and yes, it works fine so you have other issues, not an Apple issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have already tried that link, I am sure we waited long enough, we one time let it go 24 hours and had no status change. for some reason, it just hangs up during the update process, fairly early in the process
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

What else have you tried?

When the new drive was installed was it a clean install or a restore from a backup?

Have you tried a new user?

Let me know,