Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

How do I convert or make documents from my Apple printable

Customer Question

How do I convert or make documents from my Apple printable from my HP at work that I email to myself??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I am not sure what it is you are asking.
Can you be more specific with the type of document? Is it a PDF file?
If I am reading this right you created a document at work on a Windows computer and you want to send it to your home computer that is a Mac and print it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's just the opposite. I did a pdf document on my Apple and sent it to me as an attachment through email/google and when I try to open it at my HP at school, it can't open it up. I have windows XP on my HP at school. Thanks.

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
A PDF is a PDF, I crate a document in TextEdit and then I goto print then I will save as a PDF from print. That way I can email the document and any PDF reader can open it.
That has worked for me.
Any document that can be printed can be made into a PDF in the print dialog window in the lower left corner.
Unless Google mail is not sending what you are telling it to.
Gmail is usually pretty good for that.
You may want to set Mail on your Mac to use Gmail. It will do that pretty much by itself, all you need do is answer what Mail asks for the Gmail account.
Then when you insert the PDF it may get there like it should.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry it's been awhile since I got back to you. I had meetings after school and then a family event. I tried going to the print window after opening the document and clicked on PDF and saved it and then sent it to my son, it still comes up jumbled symbols and unreadable. I haven't tried to set Gmail as the account to use, although I have created a gmail account that I use for a personal email account. Because of the time factor, I retyped my son's paper on my PC and sent it to him. I still need to be able to do things at home and send them to my school computer to bring up work I did at home. I thought when I bought my macbook that I got something that converted or accepted word documents.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
You did get a machine that will do that.
That said it still requires software for this to happen. I use iWork 09 from Apple, it has Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), and Keynote (PowerPoint), all have the ability to export data so that it is readable and opens correctly in MicroSoft Office applications.
As for PDF files I would look at what is opening them on the PC, the PDF in the print makes PDFs the same way that Adobe Acrobat does.
Is your son using the Acrobat Reader to open the PDF, if not then download thr free one from Adobe.
If that is not the case then please convert any document that you don't mind me looking at and upload it to this site and send me the link.
I will look at it and it may give me a better understanding of the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's been crazy here. My applebook is not even a year old. I got it around June this year. It has pages. I am at school yet and I'll look at it again tonight when I get home and see if I can figure it out with your explanation. I have a PC at home too, so I can check whether or not it's making a "transformation". I'll send an email with the paper attached if I can't seem to still do it tonight. Thanks for not giving up on me :)

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
I am watching the Bills game but am also checking here.