Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My I-mac is locked up on the apple start screen. I was reading

Customer Question

My I-mac is locked up on the apple start screen. I was reading an article on line last night and couldn't get out of the page so I cut off the power and now it will do nothing
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Try these steps and see if that helps..

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys

Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried option 1 several times but did not work, tried restarting in safe mode and now I have my normal screen with no mac start page, mouse works but nothing functions when I click on it???
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Turn off your Mac by holding down the power button. Then run Disk Utility from the installation disks.

• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The omly disk that came with this machine are an i work 08 install disk, an Apple pro-training, an aperture install and an applecare protection plan disk. Is it one of these?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
No, its Apple Restore Disk which have a grey color like this;
graphic

We may need the disks to repair your Mac. If you don't have that disk with your Mac, contact Apple and they will give it you. Now try the following troubleshooting steps;

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looks like that worked, thank you so much for your help and patience.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad it worked ! Thanks for Accepting my answer and the bonus. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regrads,