Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Sony HD camcorder that is not compatible with my new

Customer Question

I have a Sony HD camcorder that is not compatible with my new iMac. I have copied all of my video files on my Mac but I can't find any software that will play my files. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What is the extension of the Video files ? .MTS ?

Do you just want to play them or do you want to edit them in iMovie ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they are .MTS. I would like to be able to play them & burn DVDs. I'm not advanced enough to want to edit. The Sony Handycam came with software to store & burn DVDs but it's not compatible with the Mac. It's only one year old & I don't want to buy another one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You don't have to buy another one, we can make it work on your Mac.

Could you please give the model number of your Sony Cam ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, HDR-SR11. Thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What version of iMovie are you using ? (You can find iMovie in ~/Applications/)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but I don't know how to find the version. Can you tell me where I should look? I am a PC user, so this is all new for me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Its easy, Open Macintosh HD (home disk), open Applications folder. You can see the iMovie application in theregraphic
Just open it and you can see its version while loading like iMovie 08' or iMovie 09'
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
iMovie '09
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Good News ! iMovie supports your Camcorder and you can capture your videos with iMovie 09'. You can also edit videos with iMovie and then export it into iDVD to burn the video in DVDs

iMovie Tutorial : Click Here
iDVD Tutorial : Click Here

Import videos from your Camcorder into iMovie 09' (From Apple.com)
  1. Open iMovie '09.
  2. Connect your camcorder to your computer with the USB cable.
  3. Make sure your camcorder is in the proper mode: PC, Computer, Playback or VTR.
  4. iMovie will automatically detects your Camcorder and will open the Import Windowgraphic
  5. Set the Automatic/Manual switch at the bottom-left of the import window to the Automatic position if you want all of your clips imported.

To begin the import process, click Import All.

6. If you want to choose which clips to import, set the Automatic/Manual switch to Manual.

7. In Manual mode, you can select a video clip (1) and play that clip in the window by clicking the Play button (2).

Note: This allows your clip to play. The clip is not imported.

8. The checkbox under each video clip determines whether that clip will be imported. If a checkbox is selected (1) the clip will be imported. If the checkbox is deselected (2) the clip will not be imported.

9. Click the Import Checked button to import your video clips.

10. From the Save to menu, you can choose a Save to location, add your clip to a new or existing iMovie Event, and select a size for your imported video clip.
    • Choose the hard disk where you want your video saved (if you have more than one hard disk).
    • Select the option to add your imported footage to an existing iMovie event or to create a new event.
    • Choose a size for your imported video.

11. Click OK.

12. iMovie lets you know when your import is complete.

Click OK to exit the import mode.

Your imported video appears in your Event Library. In this example it is “San Francisco Bay”.

Let me know if you have any questions !

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer, bonus and positive feedback. If that didn't worked, please reply. Good Luck !

Best Regards,