Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

my volume isnt working. it says that the volume is as loud

my volume isn't working. it says that the volume is as loud as it can get but theres a circle and a slash through it underneath. also there's a red light on inside the hole where headphones can be plugged in. how do i fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First I would suggest it sounds like your computer is stuck on Digital Output (because of the red light), as if there is a dongle or heaphones connected to the computer. Which would make the computer think to disable the internal speakers.

I was doing a little more research for someone else having the same problem. I came across this thread at apple's support site. It suggests using a toothpick to disengage the audio jack. I DO NOT recommend this. Instead, try plugging your headphones in, then taking them out, repeat a few times until the light goes off. This should reset the port.

Good Luck.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6885460#6885460

--------------------------------------

If that doesn't help, let's confirm some settngs.

Go to Applications / Utilities / Audio Midi Setup

Confirm that Default Input, Output, System Output are all set to "Built-In Output"
Under "Properties for" set to "Built-In Output".
The "Audio Output" box in the bottom right, the following should be selected:
Source: Internal Speakers
Format: 44100.0 Hz / 2ch-24bit

-----------------------------------

Next go to System Preferences / Sound and confirm the following settings (if you can):
Under Output:
Internal Speakers should be selected as the Built-In Output, if not let me know what it does have in the dialogue box
Output Volume is not Muted in the check box at the bottom.

------------------------------------

Next let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.
7) Restart and try now.

If above suggestions yield no results, let me know and we'll go from there.
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in the dialogue box under "output" it says digital out, not internal speakers
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nevermind! it works! thank you!
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Awesome! Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, if you have time and see fit, positive feedback is always welcome!