Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

Hi, I am using a powerbook G4. It was working fine last night

Hi, I am using a powerbook G4. It was working fine last night and I shut the lid and went to bed. This evening the sleep light on the front was off and when I opened the laptop, nothing happened. I have tried the safeboot, and the command, control, P+R and not much happened. I can here the fan turning on and off but nothing else is happening. Suggenstions?
Thanks!
Make sure the outlet is in good working order and that the battery is seated. Do you have power to the laptop? If so, then it sounds like an SMC reset may be in order. In order to get you the correct procedure for your specific machine, I'll need the serial number.

If you don't know your serial number, the following doc can help you locate it:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1349
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Travis,
The battery is in, and the powerchord is lighting up green. The allcaps green light comes on, so there is power and I can hear the fan running. The serial number (under the battery) is V73153E8MVZ.
Thanks!
Amie
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Amie,
Based on your serial number, the PowerBook should be a G4 1.0GHz. The SMC reset method is listed below:
1) If the computer is on, turn it off.
2) Disengage the two keyboard latches located between the Esc and F1 keys, and the F11 and F12 keys. (You may also need to disengage the keyboard locking screw located between the F5 and F6 keys.)
3) Lift the keyboard. To ensure no harmful static electricity is transferred to the computer, properly ground yourself before performing this procedure.
4) Press and release the reset button located on the upper right side of the logic board near the power button, shown below.
5) Wait 5 seconds.
6) Press the power button to restart the computer.
graphic

Let me know if this does or does not work. Good Luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Travis,
It does say it is a 1.0 GHz, but it does not have the keyboard latches. I can unscrew the screws from the backside to remove the keyboard. This is 17 in. powerbook. Does this make a difference in the answer?
Thanks!
Amie
Yes, does make a difference. Don't open up the mac, try the following instead:

1) If the computer is on, turn it off.
2) Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3) Wait 5 seconds.
4) Press the Power button to restart the computer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, it makes the little clicking sounds as if starting up, and the fan comes on, but nothing else happens. Also, the little light on the very front of the release button is not lighting up. Can you think of anything else?
Thank you!
Amie
If you are still experiencing problems after an SMC reset and everything you've already done, then it is likely a hardware problem that will need hands-on diagnostics to determine the specific problem. If I had to guess, it would be logic board at this point. Sorry.

I'd have to suggest a trip to the Apple Store's genius bar.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well i was afraid of that...thanks anyway and I am happy to pay for your time. Can you answer my last question: If it is the logic board, can I hook up my other mac to the troubled mac and retreive my photos? I can figure out how to do it if I know it is doable.
Thanks again,
Amie
If you have access to another mac, now would be a good time to try to connect the two machines in Firewire transfer mode, that way you can atleast get your important stuff off of the machine if it is able to boot up into Target Mode. If you do have another mac close and a firewire cable to connect the two, I would try this first.

1a) Shut down your PowerBook.
1b) Start up the good mac.
1c) Connect a firewire cable between the 2 machines.
1d) Press and hold the T button and then power up the PowerBook. Don't let go of the T until the firewire logo starts bouncing around on the screen, you see the PowerBook pop up on the desktop of the good mac or 2-3 minutes have passed.
1e) This should connect the PowerBook to the good mac as an external hard drive.
1f) You should then be able to backup the PowerBook to another external drive or to the good mac over the Firewire Connection.

I hope this works out for you. Let me know if I can help further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I have another mac, but not the correct cord. I have a friend at work who may have the right gear. Thanks again!
Amie