Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

I am having trouble adding an Airport Express to my existing

Customer Question

I am having trouble adding an Airport Express to my existing Airport Extreme network. (I am a Windows user). The Airport Utility (I am using the one that came with my Airport Extreme, don't know if that is the right thing to do) is asking me for the password XXXXX my Airport Express (ie the new device), but I haven't assigned a password XXXXX Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Try one of these:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already tried those.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Leave your Airport Express plugged in, press and hold the reset button until the LED flashes amber rapidly. Now keep the reset button pressed in for at least 10-30 seconds and then release. This should factory reset it and there shouldn't be a password, or it would be one of those 3.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already tried that, too. No luck. I reset it in that way (and several other ways) and it still asks me for a password XXXXX I "Click Continue to set up this AirPort Express" and it does not accept any of these 3. When I enter the password XXXXX my existing Airport Extreme unit, it goes in to configure that device, but I cannot figure out how to get beyond the password XXXXX to configure my Airport Express.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Is this Airport Express brand new?
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Have you tried downloading and installing a newer version of the airport utility? Here is the link:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Express is brand new, bought it today.

I tried to update and it says that there are no updates; I am using the most recent version of airport utility (the one that came with my Airport Extreme, which I bought yesterday)...
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I've got no clue then. My suspicion is that the new airport express is defective. If you know someone who has a Mac, have them give it a try. Apple's products don't always play that well with Windows.