Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

my mac is infected with logmein gui..what can ido

Customer Question

my mac is infected with logmein gui..what can ido?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
I can't find any information indicating that logmein gui is a virus. Its a legitimate program installed as part of "Log Me In", a remote access server.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the program file has been drained of legit apps, i can't uninstall the remnants and as soon as i connect to the internet, I am bombarded by dubious connections and a lurking httpd...among other things. Tell me which logs would prove most useful and i will forward. My files are being revised remotely and reviewed programs reappear (like vine server) for no reason after I uninstall
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
I'm afraid this particular problem is going to be very hard to troubleshoot remotely. I would probably open a terminal and view running processes by typing

ps aux

then find anything that looks like it was connected to logmein and delete it from the drive. I'll opt out in case another expert has experience with this program.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've run the top command and killed various suspicious and overworked processes like mdworker, httpd, etc...but they reappear right away. will someone else be able to help me?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I use LogMeIn to remotely control my computers and I like it. I don't know how or why you have it on your machine but it will not harm anything.

But if you do not use it or want it it can be removed.

Find the LogMeIn uninstaller in Applications/LogMeIn folder, double click the LogMeInUninstaller file to remove LogMeIn from your Mac.
If there is no folder by that name then type into Spotlight 'LogMeIn' without the quotes and it will find it for you, then you can run the uninstaller or drag all of it to the trash to be rid of it.
Ley me know.