Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati

My built in isight isnt working. Apparently I am missing a

My built in isight isn't working. Apparently I am missing a driver for both Mac and Windows, which is loaded through vmware. How do I regain use of my camera?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
First, there are a few questions I'd like you to answer so I can better help understand the problem. The more detail you can provide, the easier the troubleshooting will be.

1) What type of Mac (ie iMac, PowerBook, etc) and how old is it?

2) What is the Operating System (ie 9.2, 10.5.8, etc)? This info can be found in the apple menu, "About this Mac" (if it is running).

3) What have you done already to try to fix the problem?

4) Have you recently installed anything new, updated the computer, upgraded OS or software?

5) Did you start noticing the problem after a specific event took place?

6) What makes you think you are missing a driver?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. It is a MacBook Pro

2. OS 10.5.8

3. I have tried reinstalling it using the hardware wizard in the Windows virutal computer that I installed through VM Ware

4. There have been several updates to Macafee in Windows and an update to Bluetooth on the Mac side

5. I think that my computer has a virus because my Macafee gets shut down in the middle of scanning and so does my Windows Explorer when I do searches. However, I have not been able to identify the virus (another problem with which I need help).

6. I'm assuming that there is a driver problem because Device Manager in Windows has a big yellow question mark next to Built in iSight and the Hardware Wizard tells me that
I need to download a driver.

IMPORTANT: The camera did not work for g-mail but it does work for ichat.
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
In the mac side, go to the apple menu > about this mac > more info.

Under Hardware, go down and click on USB. Does it have Built-In I-Sight listed under High-Speed Bus?

Click Hardware. It should list the serial number of the mac. What is it? From here the next step will be to reset the PMU (or SMC depending on the model). This should reset the High Speed USB bus and re-establish connection to the iSight. I'll need the Serial number in order to get the correct procedure for your specific model.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I-Sight is indeed listed. Here's the serial number that you requested: W8826587YJX

Let me know what comes next.

Just to make sure that we understand each other: The problem is manifesting itself in the Windows part of my computer. Do you thank that what you're proposing will help for that side given that I've got a partitioned disk?
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.
If the iSight is working on the mac side of the system but not in the PC side, then the PMU / SMC reset will re-establish a broken port connection, but not correct issues on the PC side. No need to do it if it is not the issue.

Try this first. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can get another expert to assist. Working on the PC side of things isn't my bag. My resources are limited.

1) Power on your Windows virtual machine.

2) Check that VMware Tools are installed in the virtual machine.

3) Choose Virtual Machine > USB > Connect Apple Built-in iSight from the Virtual Machine menu.

4) Windows should go through the Found New Hardware wizard. When prompted for drivers, use the "Mac OS X Install Disk" for Leopard to locate the driver.

5) When the wizard finishes, your iSight camera should be ready to use on the PC side.