Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am having a lot of trouble with my mac being slow and I think

Customer Question

I am having a lot of trouble with my mac being slow and I think I know the main problem but don't know how to fix it. Last year I set up a web site using mobil me for our baseball team. I got a name from godaddy but I decided to use my computer as the server. LSUSpilotsbaseball.com Now I would like to save the web site and take it down or change to a godaddy server and pay a fee. I think if I could do this it might free up more power for my mac but there could be other simpler things I could do. I considered buying a mac program "wipe it" to help "optimize but didn't really know if it was a good idea.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

The first thing to try is a Safe Boot, To do this can you shut the machine down then wait 5 seconds and power it back up.

As soon as you let go of the power button can you press and hold down the SHIFT key and keep it pressed till the machine shows the load wheel below the Apple icon then let go and wait up to 30 minutes for the machine to open to the Safe Boot login.

Login like normal then restart just like normal from the Apple menu and once your machine has rebooted let me know if the machine runs any smoother.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already tried that, you don't think the web server thing is slowing me down?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

It is a definate possiblity, Do you get alot of traffic to your site would be the first thing I would need to know before I can give a definitive answer to that.

Also other than the webserver how full is your hard drive and how many apps do you usually run?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The web site has very little traffic as it is for a very limited audience. The site itself though has lots of video and pictures. My hard drive is about 1/3 full , 500GB.

When u say apps that I run , do you mean at the same time?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Yes,

Sucah as the web server app, Antivirus, Firewall, Database engine to run the website, Then your own apps

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sure that is true, whatever a sucah is, but the question is how do I speed up my mac. Any suggestions? need directions
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

I need to know what is running on your mac so I can tell you what may or may not need to be done, If you are running a lot of applications or if you had a lot of traffic for the web server, Then of course I would suggest that you move it off your machine.

Depending on what program you are using for the webserver the database engine may be getting corrupted, so it would need to be cleaned, Or your webserver may be nder attack from an outside user that wants to hijack your email server for their spam usage.

If you are running applications that store a lot of data, then it may be your drives are getting full, In which case you will need to clean them up as MAC's use the available disk space as what is known as a swap file, so that the less space you have available the smaller the swap file and this will degrade performance.

There are a lot of considerations when it comes to what may be slowing your machine down, however without knowing what apps and how many you are running, There is nothing I can suggest.

So I will opt out and see if another Mac expert can help you with this.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate that it is a complicated question, I was hoping you could tell me something specific, like "do this" to dump your cache file to see if it helps or get "this" program to optimize your computer. "do this" to disable your web site to see if it helps etc...