Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I AM TRYING TO PLAY GO-VIDEO VIDEO_TS FILE FORMAT ON A MAC

Customer Question

I AM TRYING TO PLAY GO-VIDEO VIDEO_TS FILE FORMAT ON A MAC RUNNING
LEOPARD 6.1 . It was suggested to use the VLS player which I downloaded onto my mac book pro. When I access the Video_Ts files located on a dvd disc which it was recorded on, it plays for a little bit, a few minutes usually, and then it stalls intermittantly. What can I do to have continuous play ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Did you tried a different DVD ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes..... some play longer than others while some barely play after a few seconds to a few minutes...but none play through its entirety.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
You can play DVDs using Mac's DVD Player. Open DVD Player applications from Macintosh HD > Applications folder. Now insert a DVD video and play it with DVD Player application.

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry-- I just cant get the dvd's to play properly on this mac.
Its not a big deal as I have no problem playing them on my PC.
It would have been nice but I generally use my mac for music production only anyway so I can live without dvd play from go- video recorded dvds! Thank Anyway
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
DVD Player is a application like VLC Player. Did you tried to play it in DVD Player.app ? Does the same problem occurs in DVD Player.app ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.

If the problem is solved in new account, you can copy your old account's files into new account.
So goto ~/Users/[youroldaccount]/ and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into ~/Users/[yournewaccount/.

Don't delete any files..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.....Wish I had as much-- I tryed new account but same deal....

I give up---Will just use my PC to play videos.

Thanks for trying.....I'm moving on to other life issues (:

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
My last suggestions...if that didn't worked, i will pass this question to other Mac experts, so they will help you !

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :

Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Best Regards,