Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Like a fool I changed the name of the home user on a Mac running

Like a fool I changed the name of the home user on a Mac running 10.4.11 without backing up the music and photos. How do I go about recovering the massive iphoto library from the original user?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

How did you changed it ? And from Where ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I opened the window of my HD screen and under "users" changed the name next to the little house/home. The computer created a second user that is linked to the original name - both users/accounts have empty iphoto folders
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Macs won't allow to change the name of account directly..Did you received a message telling anything about replacing files when you change the name ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm this is a new computer to me - came with the job... I'm a long-time mac user... in this case I was a little surprised this machine allowed me to highlight the name and change it.

In this case - the only times I've been asked to invoke the administrative password XXXXX when, after realizing what I'd done, I went to the system preferences to see what users were registered - I had to log in there when I considered adding the original user name back but realized that was pointless and abandoned that idea.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
So you don't have iPhoto library on both of your account...

1. Close iPhoto if it is opened.
  2. Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library.
  3. Click Choose Library.
  4. Let me know if you are able to see the library in the list..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see the library and have clicked on it (but not opened it). It is 7.5 MB in size and was created when I changed the name of the home user an hour ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
An additional note - the "Open Photo Library" window does list the original "home" user - not the updated name that I had inserted.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
hmm...So there is something wrong with the accounts. Could you please search "Library" using Spotlight ? May be it will help you to find it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
There is chance that the data of your iPhoto library might have overwritten by the new library. If so, it can't be recovered. If it is deleted, it can be recover easily using Reovery Applications. The only way to recover the files is, try recovery softwares. I'm not sure these softwares can recover overwritten data, its worth a try.

Here are some good recovery softwares...honestly i didn't tried any of it.

1. Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery :
Download Trial or Download Trial (Download Page)

2. Data Rescue 2
(Download Trial)

3. Kernel for Mac Data Recovery- Macintosh Data Recovery Software (Download Trial)

4. FileSalvage 6.1.5 (Download Trial)

The Recovery Softwares are very costly and i am not sure that it will completely recover your iPhoto library. So please try the trial version of these softwares before buying it.

And don't use your Mac until you recover the files...only install Recovery Softwares in your Mac.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc