Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my imac will not boot up, no spinning gear. there has been

my imac will not boot up, no spinning gear.
there has been a glitch where, if i touch the number pad of the keyboard, the mouse stops working. Then, basically you need to just power off the computer and then power it back on. This time, it isn't coming back on.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Try these steps below.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in SafeMode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :

Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

If all the above doesn't solved the problem, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks