Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hello, I have an early 2008 iMac, 24in. It runs Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Customer Question

Hello, I have an early 2008 iMac, 24in. It runs Mac OS X 10.5.8. 4GB 3.06 processor.. I've never ever had an issue with it until yesterday. It has started to intermittently lock up. The only recourse it to use the power button on the back to restart it. All I had running at the time was firefox & World of Warcraft. (the game has never caused a crash before)
Sometimes, it'll be fine for a little while, then bam...it'll freeze..with the rainbow wheel spinning & spinning. Im not sure what I should do. Contact Apple for repair maybe? I do have a care plan.
Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Lets try some troubleshooting steps and see if that helps...

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.
Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

Im actually at work and will have to try this out once I get home.
I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay...if that didn't worked, you can try the following;

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try these soloutions when I get home.

Thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome !

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried the 1st solution of resetting my PRAM NVRAM.

So far so good..
Everything is working. The only odd thing Im noticing is that when I type something, in anything...textedit, facebook, etc ...and I use the space bar, the cursor moves very sluggishly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer...You can try the Disk Utility and see if that stops the sluggish in typing.

• Once completed, quit Disk Utility

Best Regards,