Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

i have iMac w/snow leopard (latest updates installed) - cant

Customer Question

SIGNING OFF FOR THE NIGHT - I WILL CHECK FIRST THING IN THE MORNING TO SEE IF YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS.

I have iMac w/snow leopard (latest updates installed) - can't pair new dinovo edge keybd - momentarily shows "on" - not paired, then goes back to add device (bluetooth assistant). Same indications with 2 different new keybds (MacMall). also tried with 'virgin' 10.6 system on alternate boot drive (firewire 800) - same indications.

summary of steps taken:

Problems pairing Logitech DiNove Edge keyboard – Mac edition – have tried numerous ways with no luck. Keyboard always properly ‘found’ (assistant momentarily always shows “on” – and not paired – then switches to “add new device...”). in summary – I have tried 2 new keyboards, fully charged both keyboards before attempting pairing; tried multiple iMac (aluminum – got it in April 2009) instances of operating system and hardware.

Tried all four means (random, forced (as in the manual), no code, etc) with no change. On the Apple internal disk – I loaded the LCC software from Logitech, although the instructions implied that I didn’t need to do that yet – till the mapping of special functions was desired...

After attempting my own attempts to pair – got on the phone w/Logitech technical – they did the same thing I did – they concluded it should be returned to original vendor – and noted that “this keyboard is last year’s model – a lot of technical support data has been removed...”. I next called MacMall technical – and we again walked through all the same steps (I was getting good by then) – frequently turning the keyboard off then on, restarting the iMac, etc. next he said that the keyboard needed the latest driver to be installed – so we downloaded and initialized LCC version 3.1 (I think). Same indications, no joy.

So I returned the first keyboard (left Oxnard CA Saturday) and re-ordered a new keyboard (which came today). I also procured a new Buffalo 1T fireware 800 drive this morning, formatted it, and put a new (virgin) snow leopard system on the drive. I also made sure that all software was updated (I think it’s 10.6.2 if I remember right). The new keyboard came via FedEx – I charged it, then moved to the computer room.

First – attempted to pair it with iMac, booted on the internal drive (which as you remember had originally LCC 2.x, then updated with latest driver). Same indications. Then rebooted from the fireware new operating system, made sure Bluetooth was on, and walked through the steps – absolutely the same indications. I then rebooted from the internal drive, and looked into the driver section of O.S. – noted that “properties” for LCC had a check box “boot in 32 bit mode”. I unchecked that box and rebooted – and retried – same results.

I have concluded most likely failure is basic Bluetooth software connectivity – I did not try other Bluetooth devices for pairing (didn’t know which devices would be valid test).

There are four possible ‘causes’ of problems:

keyboard initial condition – not the problem - both were brand new from MacMall, both were fully charged before pairing attempted.

Corrupted system – not the problem – tried both with existing and brand new 10.6 system.

Driver software from Logitech shouldn’t be a player – although they were attempted in multiple configurations.

Researched Apple sites and other sites – before attempting you guys.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I don't know if this works or not, but please try it for me.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account and try to pair it.

(only click accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure setting up new account will do anything 'different' than having a brand new (virgin) OS 10.6.2 on the external firewire drive.

also - i successfully 'paired' and connected the keyboard to my PS-3. i also paired (but could not connect) my iPhone with my iMac. (i can see a PC ad in the making here....)

does this help?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Do you think, there is problem with your bluetooth device in your mac ?

May be this Firmware update help to fix the problem. Download and install Bluetooth Update 2.0.1 from here. Then restart your mac andtry to pair it. Good Luck !
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will try it. thanks. also - there is another posting on Apple site for Logitech laser kbd - using a 'bluetooth dongle' - which may be another inexpensive way to do it - but that will wait for a more real solution.

as your email came in - i was looking at: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3048#1

what do you think?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
yeah..may be a bluetooth dongle will help and its very cheap (costs 2$-5$), but what about the inbuilt bluetooth ?? Do you think its fried ?

I didn't find anything good on the Apple support page that you sent to me.

Try to update the firmware...and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well - here's one for the books. i tried one more time - this time, after pairing failure, i entered the random code the program put up, and hit return. this brought up a "cannot finalize the keyboard - hit the key just to the right of the shift key on the left side..." and the same on the right side... After that - it said it was paired - and connected. in other words - i ignored the apple msg to 'try other methods of connection" - and just blindly went forward with continue. so - i have a basic keyboard set up - scroll disk seems to work. i haven't tried to force the Logitech code into the system yet - want to get confidence on using this keyboard first - then customize.

there was another post i saw yesterday - from a keyboard new user - who said "think like a PC user" when approaching Logitech type instrucitons. that might have worked here.

i am going to hit accept to get you payment. if you want to communicate on how furhter installation goes - it'sXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. i have my laptop (Vaio) in one room, and the mac in another room - that's why it;s taking longer to reply.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
WOW ! that was a great news ! I'm glad it worked. Smile

Problem is, i cannot see your email address and they are like xxxs. Justanswer won't allow us to share email address, phone no etc. We can only communicate in here.

And thanks for Accepting my answer...

Try the same method on your another hard disk and Please let me know if you are able to make it work on your other hd..just curious !

Best Regards,