Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

out of memory when starting final cut pro

Customer Question

out of memory when starting final cut pro, i just had my laptop repaired at the mac store. the issue before was a bad logic board the Nvidia card was bad (a known problem) when i got it back i open FCP and got this error. here is what i have done so far.

1-went back to time machine to the last time i used FCP without a problem and i still have the issue.
2-i reinstalled FCP deleted everything associated with FCP and put in a fresh load, but the date on the applications folder still shows a set up date of May 2009. not todays date.
3-reinstalled Snow Lep and no change.
4-i zapped my Pram and nothing.
5-went back to the mac store they checked the ram and it was o.k. they even replaced it with new ram and same issue.

at this point it has something to do with the program but cant figure it out.

i increased the ram usage in FCP user pref and nada.

help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

You said that you reinstalled Leopard. How ? (Archive and Install or Erase and Install)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just installed the disk and did a install, is there an another way.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
While installing OS, you may get two options like Erase and Install and Archive and Install. So which option did you choose ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
none
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
None ??only way to find out which install you did. Did you lost your files after the install ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
So you did an Archive and Install, Archive and Install won't remove any of your files but it just overwrite system files with new one. Okay...we can try to delete the preference and cache files of Final Cut Pro, it may solve the problem.

Quit Final Cut Pro and follow the steps below ;

Goto ~/Library/Preferences/ and trash the file named "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist" (Don't Empty the trash)

Goto ~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ and trash com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist

Goto ~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ and trash the folder Final Cut Pro User Data

(only click accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did this several times and no result.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Did you tried FCP in new user account. Goto System Preferences, open Accounts and create new Administrator account. Now login with that account and try FCP. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i get the error message when i click to open fcp, it does not even get to the point of opening a user account.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You have to create a new system user account, not anything with FCP. So restart your Mac, without opening FCP do the following steps;

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.
  • Now open FCP and see if the error gone..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok give me a few minutes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not work, same issue when loading FCP
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think the problem is either with Nvidia Card or RAM. I think adding more RAM will help, but not sure about it. You can also do a fresh install of OS, i.e Erase and Install. It will erase all contents of your HD and put new OS without your old files. So backup all of your important files into an external hd before doing Erase and Install. Its worth a try..

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i have everything backed up on time machine, how do a do a fresh install.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
First make sure, you've backed up everything you need.

Insert the Mac OS X installation disk 1 to your Mac, restart your Mac and immediately hold down the C key. Keep the key held down until your Mac boots into Setup screen. Follow the on screen instructions to do an Erase and Install. Good Luck !

Let me know if you have any questions...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will do and will let u know
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure it will work or not, but if FCP still doesn't worked after Erase and Install, it should be a hardware issue. Good Luck !

Best Regards,