Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have just update my G4 powerPC to osx 10.4.11. to make room

Customer Question

I have just update my G4 powerPC to osx 10.4.11. to make room for my downloads, I accidentally threw my firefox app into the trash. I didnt realize that the actual app was on my DESKTOP! in searching blogs ather are some problems I see noted, and people doing fancy things to fix stuff and I cant understand any of it.
SO-my question is- which version of firefox should I downlaod to work best. I cannot do fix-ups..and ijust do basic searches, though I will like to print webpages at some point
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

The latest version of Firefox is the best one to use, its very fast and more stable. I recommend you to download and install that one on your Mac

Download Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know why some blogs said firefox 3....maybe it was an old post?
one more piece of info I forgot to tell you
my email is yahoo
is this still the best version of firefox for that
sadly I lost my browser bookmarks

so you are a mac man?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Its firefox 3, but a small upgrade i.e Firefox 3.5. I'm using 3.5 and don't have any problems yet.

You can use Yahoo mail on Firefox 3.5 without any problems..i hope so.

If you just delete the application, the bookmarks will remain on your Mac. I think the bookmark will be saved on Firefox profile.

Before reinstalling Firefox, we can try to recover the Bookmarks. Please give 10 minutes, i have to search it on my Mac.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well the app was in my trash and I emptied it so wouldn't my bookmarks be gone
because now I would not be updating, but installing as if I never used firefox
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Firefox saves its contents like Bookmarks, Favourites, Caches, History etc in a special 'Profile' file. If you just trash and empty the application, i think, the Bookmarks are still recoverable. So create a copy of the Profile into desktop before installing new version.

Open Macintosh HD/Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support/ and copy the folder 'Firefox' into desktop. Now download and install the latest version of Firefox and open it. All your Bookmarks should be there...Good Luck !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont know how to copy profile if I trashed the app?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Like i said, 'Profile' file is not the same as Firefox application, its just a different file. It will only delete if you uninstall Firefox (not by trashing Firefox). Open your Macintosh HD (home disk), Open Users folder, you can see a folder with your User name, so open it. Open Library folder, open Application Support folder. In there, you can see the Firefox folder. Just copy it into desktop and reinstall Firefox. Everything should work fine...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so I put the application support folder on desktop. it is full of subfolder

I dont see how I am re-intalling firefox

I have to go to the firefox website...then I am asking for an upgrade...or just download firefox?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Don't copy the entire 'Application Support' folder into desktop. Just copy the 'Firefox' folder inside 'Application Support' folder into desktop. And remember, don't move the folder, just create a copy of it into dekstop.

Just goto this link and download will start automatically.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oops I move it, I moved it back, thanx
so when I go to the link i just click to upgrade to the lastest version of firefox? I dont see which #version I had previously
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I will give you a direct link, just download it. Click Here

Its the latest version of Firefox with your old bookmarks !
graphic
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hello Barbara,
Here it is : http://mozilla.sakura.ad.jp/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.5.5/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.5.5.dmg

(Make sure you don't moved the Firefox folder into desktop from Application support folder before installing Firefox.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanx Ashik . I found your other link
if you knew my settings than anyone could hack me, and I am naked on this computer except flying w/ firefox security I think...but I do also use safari

I am pretty brok sthanx ashik, I am downloading.....
I thought I lost your link it was in my email inbox as well

soo...you could hack me and get my bookmarks?
not scary w/ you, but w/ others...as you see this computer is running naked xcept for security from mozilla?...buy when i use safari...or of someone is already all inside here...which I thinked happened when my kid was getting photos from weird personaltourist photo sitesfor social studies or my friend gave me an email chain...whats best to do for cleaning & securing this mac?
Thanx again...I just e-ed just anwer insteak of you that i am 'running naked"security wise -uh oh
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Nobody can hack your Mac if you do the following ways ;

First you must understand your network is secure. (Wireless or wired)

For cleaning, you can use Mac's Disk Utility. Goto ~/Applications/Utilities and open Disk Utility. Then repair the disk and repair permission.

Finally, Do all Software Update regularly....

Macs are not like other computers, no one can hack your Mac without your permission...

I hope this is the answer for your question...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
soo idownlaods said it stopped downloading -was stopped..I tried the dmg again no fire fox, now it is opening...but i went to download again when it said it was stopped and now it is downlaoded again and says it contains an application do i want to continue downloading...so do I say cancel

my firfox was opening w/ my bookmarks and now says I I unresponsive script
and asks do i want to continue or stop unresponsiv escript

i am SOOO green...sorry
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
If you downloaded it, trash it and try this version. Click Here to download.
Install it : (See the picture below)
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it wont let me trash it says its in use
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Press Command(Apple) + Option + Esc, the force quit window will appear. Force quit firefox from there and trash it. (Don't trash the Profile or Firefox folder that we copied earlier)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great

so now we are doing 3.0.12...should I not ever do the 3.5.5?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Just testing with 3.0, you can do 3.5.5. Can you see your bookmarks with 3.0 ?

And any errors ?

Edited by Ashik on 11/22/2009 at 7:47 PM EST
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
And any errors ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes they are up.I am just unsure why I had the non responsive script messagew/ the other version
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
May be new firefox don't know how to take the old Firefox's preference files...We can try to reset the old preference files of old firefox.

Trash the old firefox and download and install new Firefox 3.5 (don't open it)
Then goto ~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ and move these two files into desktop.

org.mozilla.firefox.plist
org.mozilla.camino.plist

Now open new Firefox..let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it wasnt that it didnt take the new preference, (I think?) it may have been because I stupidly trashed when it stopped downloading...or is that why It stopped downloading..
.then I did the download again so i had 2 icons (w/ the 3.5.5 ) w/ dmgs and the little
45.4 mb firefox icon
I dont know ...was it because I was doing other things at the same time...or I am thick?. I will copy your instructions and try again but I am online w/ firefox and safari open ..
.& will you disappear?
I will quit firefox, and trash the dmg icon? Firefox is not in my applications folder on the hard drive, so that is what I use, the dmg icon?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also, I just see org. mozilla.firefox.plist
not .camino

also I see org.vidolan.vlc,plst

and a creepy sounding one
org.cracezz.serialseeker.plst
have I lost you?

I used to see lots of spinning circles on my older larger yahoo account email...sepatate issue I'm sure
so back to the versions of moxilla, I am dumping the forefox ixon and dmgs if I am going to try the 3.5.5 again..
I am HATING technology today...but lovin you!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barbara,
I'm very sorry for the delay in my response...apologies. I don't know why Firefox 3.5 has problems with your Mac. I think a clean install will repair Firefox 3.5.5, but you'll lost your bookmarks.

Do you want to do a clean installation of Firefox ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik! oh my! look how fancy this reponse box looks today!
I guess I could do the clean install, but not right now...If you have the tips and link...(which you gave me..I believe in our chain?)I will do it another time. Firefox is working fine...safari blinks out on me now after my combo pack upgrade..and I havent cked firefox w/ my other yahoo account..or i would lose you....

It could be because I have on yahoo account that is mega full ?..and now yahoo has all those fancy media options and links that I have NO use for. they take a while to load and generate noisy time consuming crap as they load, and I am getting the spinny whells in safari w/ my Bcaponyc email...so if i want advice re this and other stuff...how do I request yur help ??? do you know much about yahoo (or does yahoo make you wanna puke?) I even see some fleeting loading..accessing at the bottom (some christian site?? and ..like doubleclick...loading along the bottom bar > I swear..mac bugs??Surprised??

My job w. the union here, doing outreach for World Trade Center health impacted folk (like my kid) is ending and I will be having to work alot at home soon to work on health impacts for kids down here...but this gig will give me no benefit, less hours and will pay less...so DR Ashik- I need to have my 2 yahoos open at once, so i use 2 browsers or exchange addressbooks- i canot pay for .mac email...gmail..i will have lots of questions for you...now I amout of room in this box-Bye-Barbara
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barbara,
Yahoo is the worst email address i've seen in my life. I hate Yahoo !. I wonder why you like Yahoo, Yahoo is full of advertisement, and we've to purchase Yahoo Plus account to remove ads.

You don't have to pay for gmail, its free and thats the best email service. Very fast ! Very Simple ! More Space ! No Ads ! And i have been using it for years without any problem.

Okay...Here is the firefox fix (i hope this is the fix)
Delete the old profile and create new. Deleting the profile will delete the bookmarks, saved usernames and passwords, cookies and everything on firefox. So first make backup of any bookmarks that you want.

Quit firefox, then goto ~/Applications/Utilities/ and open Terminal, then copy and paste this :

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -ProfileManager

Then press return. From the small window, select the profile and click delete.
This will delete your firefox's profile. Then restart your Mac and open firefox.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barbara,

graphic

graphic

If you want my help again, just add "For-Ashik" on the begining of your question.
Or you can ask the question from my Profile page. Just bookmark this page : http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=16433418&FID=84

Thanks for your Patience ! Have a great day !

(no need to Accept)

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 11/24/2009 at 2:24 PM EST