Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I bought a My Book mac edition. I have a laptop. The store

Customer Question

I bought a My Book mac edition. I have a laptop. The store says I can reformat to ntfs? true? Ijust plugged it in and my computer doesn't even seem to recognize it at least not in the "my computer" area.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

All hard drives are plug and play devices which supports Mac, Windows, Linux, Fedora etc
Most of the hard drives comes as NTFS formatted i.e for Windows, Mac etc. Since your My Book is Mac edition, may be its formatted as HFS+ Partition which will only work on Mac OS. Thats why you can't see it on your 'My Computer' I hope you can just format it with Mac's Disk Utility or With Window's Device Management as NTFS Partition.

I think the store is correct. You can just format it as ntfs ! Not sure it will work or not, but its worth a try.

Let me know if you need instructions for Mac or Windows ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. I'm running windows 98. How can I access the external hard drive with my os?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Windows 98 ?? I don't have Windows 98 now. I think the Disk Management option is only available in Windows XP and later.

Is there anyway to get a Windows XP machine ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sorry i am running xp
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..we can do this step by step;

• Connect your hard drive on your Computer
  • Right Click on 'My Computer' and click 'Manage'
  • 'Computer Management' window should appear now.
  • Click on the 'Device Management' from the left column.
  • You can see your Internal hard disk, My Book HD, CD/DVD Drive in there.graphic
  • So, right click on your external drive and from the popup, select 'Delete Partition' and click Yes. (This should delete the Mac partition and also erase the hd. Don't delete the partition of your internal hd)graphic

Let me know if you are able to finish this and we can continue after you did this...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i think i deleted the proper partition... what next??
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Now, Right click on that partition named "Unallocated Space" and select "New Partition". Follow the onscreen instructions to create new partition. (Remember to choose 'Quick Format' in the New Partition Window)

You can create many partitions on your drive...You have to enter the size of partition in MB (Megabytes)

1GB = 1024MB

If you want 200GB Partition, right click on the partition 'Unallocated Space" and choose "Create Partition". You'll get a screen to enter the partition size. For 200GB, enter 200*1024 = 204800 (+ 200), so you have to enter 205000 for 200GB Partition.

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure what partition size is in regards XXXXX XXXXX I deleted was about what i now have.4.11gb. this is a 1tb hard drive. what relation does partition size have to storage space?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how come it didn't come up as aXXXXXand what do i need to enter to get there??
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think we've to do the partition thing in Mac's Disk Utility. Mac's Disk Utility may can find the remaining partition.

Do you have a Mac or anyway to get a Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no way...I'm done..Thanks for your help anyways
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry i couldn't help you. Like i said its worth a try...

Best Regards,