Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

In the Boot Camp Controll Panel Selection box both choices

Customer Question

In the Boot Camp Controll Panel Selection box both choices are Windows. What happend to Mac OS X?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I never heared of this problem...I need some information from you.

When did this problem started ?

Can't you boot into Macintosh HD ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I press the ALT/Option Key when Booting , I only get the Windows option. No I can't boot into Mac OS X. It started after usng Windows for a long period & then wanting to go back to Mac.

Frank
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Try these troubleshooting steps;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have followed your instructions and run the Disk Utility. It has said that the volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK and I saw the Mac HD Ikon for the first time.
I klicked on it but have not been abel to get Mac to boot after trying several ways.
I even need to press my mouse or Option button to get Windows to boot up. Othrewise I get a black screen with "The Operating System is Missing"
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think your system files are corrupted and you many need to reinstall the entire Mac OS.
You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Befor I try Arcive and Install, I have to finish up some things on the Windows side. After that I'll do it & get back to you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm very sorry for the delay...Okay..please let me know if you are able to make it work with Archive and Install. Good Luck !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Things do not look good.
Archive and Install aborts with the error "infinate loop between (choice) start_* attributes & mixed state aborted".
Also the media eject key does not work.
Apple repair at Tekserve is a block away from me . I am thinking of taking the Mac Pro 2.8 over there.
It says Mac OS version 10.5.1 on my discks
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the backup of your files of Mac side ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Good ! In thats case, you can do a fresh install of OS i.e Erase and Install. Erase and Install will put the fresh copy of Mac OS X into your drive and also it will delete all contents of Mac side. So boot from the disk and do a Erase and Install.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I will go ahead with that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Good Luck !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Trying to Erase & Install. Can not seem to get past (Searching for Time Machine Backups). the only option I get is (Go Back)
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
May be this tutorial will help you ;

http://macs.about.com/od/leopard105/ss/installleopard.htm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunatelly I don't have Leopard. I have Mac OS 10.5.1
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.5.1 is Leopard...!

Forgot to ask..Do you also have the backup of your Windows files ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - OK I'll have a go
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can try one more thing...delete all partition in Disk Utility and create a single one. Then you can setup BootCamp after installing Mac OS X.

Are you ready ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad it worked. Thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry my previous reply is not for you..i posted it in wrong question. Just curious..did it worked ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am Getting Discouraged. So far I still cant boot the Mac Side. Here is a Recap.

FRANK BUNTS

15 West 24th Street

7th Floor

New York, NY 10010

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Mac Pro 2.8

Model #A1186

Serial #G88013S6XYK

8CX/2XIG/320/2600X/SD/BT – USA

Purchased from Tekserve Feb. 23, 2008

CAN NOT GET BOOT CAMP TO RECOGNIZE MAC LEOPARD

CAN NOT BOOT MAC LEOPARD

CAN BOOT WINDOWS

Computer has Windows XP Pro & Mac Leopard

I get MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM If I try to boot without holding down ALT (which gets the Windows boot image only) or the MOUSE (which opens the DVD player and boots Windows)

Have Tried with MAC Without Success

Resetting PRAM & NURAM

Repair Disk

Archive & Install

Erase & Install Mac 10.5.1– only got disc 1 installed (DVD open key does not work)

Erase & Install Boot Camp

Mac is backed up

Windows – important files backed up (I hope you don’t have to erase Windows)

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..here is the plan. We have to delete the full partition of your HD, both Windows and Mac. Then format it as HFS+ single partition with Disk Utility, then install Mac OS on it. Then you can install BootCamp (Windows) and restore your files :

one question, you said you only have one install disk. Is that is a Retail Disk (colourful disk and not grey color) ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
! have 2 Mac install disks but when re installing i can only get one disk in. The reboot goes to Windows
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Your mac is confused with the startup disks to boot from. I think you have to delete all partition of your HD and start from scratch.

Boot into disk, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and delete the partition in there. Then format it as HFS+ Partition journaled. After installing OS X, you can bootcamp it for Windows.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean I do not need to deleat the Windows partition. I need to finish up work in Windows before I start a lenthly reinstall.

Thanks or hanging in there with this
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay...

No, you have to delete all partitions including Windows partition. Then only you have full access to BootCamp from OS X. Backup all files before doing this and it might take hours to fininsh the complete setup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK -I will start the compleate new install after I finish a project on the Windows side.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Take your time. Best of luck !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help.

Frank
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for you Accepting my answer, bonus and the positive feedback. Greatly Appreciated !Smile

Have a great day !

Best Regrads,