Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, my osx wont update any of my programs anymore. my programs

Customer Question

Hi, my osx wont update any of my programs anymore. my programs will tell me there is an update available, and then it will try to download it, but i just hourglass for 2 minutes and then nothing happens. this happens with ALL programs.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Okay...Update your Mac OS X 10.5.8 using Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Updater
Then restart your Mac and try to update using Software Update. I hope Combo Updater should fix the problem.

Download Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Updater from here

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok ill try this and let you know what happens.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
okay,,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just installed the package and rebooted, i dont think it worked. i was recommended to do this by someone earlier, but i could only do the first step. when i tried to do the second step, command+s wasnt doing anything. i think it might be because my computer was previously partioned to run windows and osx. i removed the partition, but i still have to hold the option key at startup. if i dont, it tries to load the non-existant windows and i have to reboot my computer.

The permissions on the programs might be right but what about the rest of the system ? ...

Please use the steps below to repair file permission settings
on the hard drive you have installed World of Warcraft.

1.) click on the Finder icon in the Dock
2.) open the Applications folder
3.) open the Utilities folder
4.) double click on the Disk Utility application icon
5.) select the hard drive the game is installed on
6.) select the First Aid option
7.) click on the Repair Disk Permissions button

- AND ALSO -

Repair Directory Procedure:

1. (re)start the computer
2. right after the computer starts press Cmd(Apple)+s until you get a black screen with white type
3. let go of the keys when this screen comes up
4. at the cursor please type the following: fsck -f -y and press return
5. please be aware that some of the procedures will look like they are frozen,
but are actually taking a long time i.e checking hierarchy
6. if anything had to be repaired, repeat step 4
7. once things are repaired type exit and press return
8. computer will boot into Mac OS

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
So you have a Disk issue.... you can make the Macintosh HD as default operating system. So that you don't have to hold down the Option key to boot into Windows. Goto System Preferences and open Startup Disk. Choose Macintosh HD and click Restart. From now on, your mac will boot in OS X.

Are you sure, that Combo Updater doesn't solved the "Software Update' problem ?
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I didn't understand this ?

"Please use the steps below to repair file permission settings

2.) open the Applications folder
3.) open the Utilities folder
6.) select the First Aid option

- AND ALSO -

Repair Directory Procedure:

1. (re)start the computer
8. computer will boot into Mac OS "

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi this didnt solve my problem, still have it. sorry took so long to reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry didnt mean to press accept. still looking for help with this problem/
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in my response..

Did you backuped your files ?

Edited by Ashik on 11/26/2009 at 4:10 PM EST