Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hello. I lost a file of photos by hitting replace... I had

I lost a file of photos by hitting 'replace'... I had moved it onto a stick, it only copied 4 of 48 items, the next title was too long, so I tried to move it off the stick to throw away, and hit replace by accident. By the time I realized I lost the original file, I couldn't go back. Please please tell me it's retrievable...
Thank you, Melora
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Bad News,really bad news ! You can't recover the files without the help professional recovery services. Since you replaced the file, the chance of the recovering the files is 10% out of 100%. If you delete a file,only reference to the file will delete and you can easily recover it with some normal recovery softwares. The file will stay on your Mac until you modify your Mac like adding new files, erasing zero data.... etc. Since you replaced it, i'm not sure that you can recover it.

Your best choice is, try Recovery Softwares. They are very costly, but if the file is very important to you, then you must buy the recovery softwares. Most of the Recovery softwares provides trial versions. So try trial version before buying.

Here are some good recovery softwares...honestly i didn't tried any of it.

1. Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery :
Download Trial or Download Trial (Download Page)

2. Data Rescue 2
(Download Trial)

3. Kernel for Mac Data Recovery- Macintosh Data Recovery Software (Download Trial)

4. FileSalvage 6.1.5 (Download Trial)

The Recovery Softwares are very costly and i am not sure that it will completely recover your files. So please try the trial version of these softwares before buying it.

If that softwares can't recover the files, send your Mac to Apple. They will send it to Professional Recovery Services to recover the files. Sadly, it may costs upto $2000 to recover the files...

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Ashik on 11/19/2009 at 3:10 AM EST