Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just bought a new iMac and transferred files from my iBook

Customer Question

I just bought a new iMac and transferred files from my iBook G4. When Norton Anti Virus 2006 Version 1.2 (93) asks me for a password XXXXX have no problem on the G4, but will not accept that password XXXXX the iMac. Is there a solution? Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

May be it is asking for the administrator password, i see that you tried everything like name of administrator on iMac, email address etc but not the Administrator's password XXXXX your iMac. So try your login password XXXXX see if it accepts

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That was one of the passwords I tried earlier. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Does the password XXXXX when you install any other softwares ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure you are using Norton AntiVirus 2006 or are you using any other products of Norton ? I'm asking this because, i found that Norton doesn't shows an AntiVirus 2006 for Mac.

And one more question...Why you need Norton ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I click on "about" it says Version 1.2 (93) @2006 Symantec. It also shows the web address http://www.symantec.com/mac/. AntiVirus is the only Symantec product I am using. I would not mind uninstalling it, but I would need the password XXXXX do so.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for asking questions...
Can you give me a screenshot of the 'password XXXXX window'....you can take screenshot of your mac screen by pressing Command + Shift + 3, this will automatically saves the image into desktop. Then upload it into rapidshare.com and please post the share/download link in here.

Do you know the exact version number of Norton AV like Norton AV 10, 11 etc ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try, but I'm not very confident that I will be able to that. I thought it was version 1.2 (93).
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can do that, it was very easy. It shows the correct version number when you starts Norton AV. For eg: When you open Word 2008 (Mac for Office) it shows 'Word 2008' on the startup screen, but when you goto the about window, it shows like this ' Word 12.x'
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I used "Get Info" I got Version 10.1.2 (001) copyright 2006
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..that might be the version..What about the screenshot. Are you able to take it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried but failed with the screen shot. It said type your password XXXXX allow Symantec to make changes. Below that was Name: XXXXX XXXXX and below that was Password: left blank for me to enter. Below that were choices to Cancel or OK.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can try to reset the password, may it will help.

You can reset the the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks

• Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc. Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
  • Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.

Please let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm concerned that doing so might mess up some other things. I'll pay you for all your time trying to help me, but I think I'll have to try to find another solution.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
It will not harm your Mac, only changes the password. Don't give up...please.
I want to help you..Follow my instructions carefully..