Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

i installed xp on my macbook pro and when i press the option

Customer Question

i installed xp on my macbook pro and when i press the option key to pick between mac os x nothing shows and it logs directly onto xp, i still have the mac hd drive and it has all its information in it, so mac os x is still there, need help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

We can try to run Disk Utility and see if that helps..

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have followed your instructions step by step. Unfortunately, my options key is still not working at the startup to allow me to pick between the different disks (Windows Bootcamp and Macintosh HD). I do not have any shortcuts on my options key (excluding the possibility of the key being set to a different command) and i have found a different way to log onto mac, which was by going to the control panel, and picking which disk to launch at the startup, so that is solved. All i need now is to find out how to get my options key functioning again as it is a real hassle to have to go through all that just to go onto a different software disk.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can choose the startup disk from Control Panel > BootCamp to boot into Mac OS X. If you want to boot into Windows, you can select Windows XP startup disk from System Preferences > Startup Disk on Mac.

Okay...Did you tried the Option key on the right side of your keyboard ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Exactly, thats what i've been doing lately to skim around the problem. I have tried the right key and it doesn't seem to respond as well, i have also noticed that there is no initial "chime" (the sound mac does when you turn it on). I can't help any further as thats all there is to it unfortunately.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I have two suggestions to try...Before we start, we want to make sure the Option key is working properly on Mac desktop.

Just do any task which uses the Option key on your Mac and we can make sure that the key is working properly and not assigned to any other action.

For eg: You can change the screen color, Press Control + Option + Apple(Command) + 8 . If option key is working, this should change the color of the screen.(Press the keys again to change it back)

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done what you have asked and it worked perfectly, the option key is working.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM, and see if that helps;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three or four times.
  6. Release the keys

Restart and try the Option key....

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wonderful! It worked to perfection. Thank you so much for helping me with this. Laughing
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad it worked. Thanks so much for Accepting my answer and the Positive Feedback.

Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,