Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Im running OS 10.5.8 on a Macbook Air and Im trying to scan

Customer Question

I'm running OS 10.5.8 on a Macbook Air and I'm trying to scan a document (a form) and then enter some information on the form. The scanner puts the document into Preview and then I can't edit it. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

You can't directly edit because scanning will produce a picture and its not editable in Word or Text edit or in other application. But there's a simple way around it.

Once you have the picture scanned, you can add text in it with a program like Photoshop, PaintBrush etc, then save it and print it.

Adobe Photoshop isn't free, but PaintBrush is a good free application and helps you to add texts in pictures.

Download Paintbrush from here for free (Note : The 'T' tool on the toolbar helps you add tect in the picture)
graphic

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've downloaded Paintbrush, but the scanned images all open in Preview. How do I get Paintbrush to interact with Preview?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Install Paintbrush and open it. Click on the File menu and choose Open. Select the image that you scanned and open it. Now you can edit it with the text tool and save or print it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did all of that and was able to enter some text, but the scanned document opened in a way that it needed 16 pages to print the one original page.

Perhaps we can start over. On my HP 6310 scanner, I have several choices of where to "Scan To." They are: 1. jpeg to HP Photosmart share; 2. jpeg to Hp Photosmart Studio; 3. jpeg to hpphotosmart print; 4. jpeg to iphoto; 5. email to apple mail; 6. email to entourage 7. ocr to text/edit 8. ocr to MS work 9. pdf to Preview and 10. Tiff to Preview. I've tried most of them. Which "Send To" destination should I use?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Try the seventh option..OCR to Text edit
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You said that you're able to add text with Paintbrush. If so, you can save the picture with different name, then print the picture with Preview application. So open and edit the picture in Paintbrush, click on File menu and choose "Save As". Save it with different name and if you are able to select the format, select "JPEG" and click save. Now open the saved image in preview and try to print it out.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Paintbrush does not seem to open txt or pdf files, as only the jpeg file is highlighted when i try to open scanned documents.

THANKS for your help. This solution works.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Paintbrush can't open PDF or Text files because its image editing application and it only supports files like JPEG, GIF, BMP, TGA etc

And thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,