Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have an iMAC G5, version X10.4. Its about 3 years old. I

I have an iMAC G5, version X10.4. It's about 3 years old. I lost the password XXXXX entered when I first set up this computer [I am a single user]. I may even have forgotten the user name I entered. However, I have the serial number of my MAC and have a new Apple user ID, but this is not the one required. I have tried several methods described on the net and none of them work. I would be so greatful for any assistance you can provide. My name isXXXXX and my e-mail address is: . All the best....Dave
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks that came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have the two installation disks that came with my MAC. Here's the trouble I have had. The creative techs instructions said to hold down the C key while the installation takes place from my start=up disk. The trouble is that the disk says I must key in my password, which i don;t have. It gives my user name as David Schum. Again, I have the serial number for my iMAC. Wil; this help you?
Serial number won't help. Actually you have to boot from the disk to reset the password. If you put the disk after booting into OS X, it requires the password XXXXX continue. But you can directly boot into your OS X disk without the password. Here is what you want to do

• Insert the Mac OS X Disk 1 on your Mac. Don't install from the disk, but just restart your Mac (Click on the Apple menu and choose Restart)
  • Immediately hold down the C on your keyboard and keep it held down untill your Mac boots into installation screen.
  • When your Mac succesfully booted into install screen release the C key
  • Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear did it!! Many thanks...D. schum
Happy to help...Thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,