Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Lacie 2tb hard drive is no longer recognized by my MacBook.

Customer Question

My Lacie 2tb hard drive is no longer recognized by my MacBook. It just stopped. I downloaded the LaCie update tool and it said no update necessary. Although it now sees it under fire wire in system profiles, it doesn't recognize it as a hard drive in finder.

There is a lot of data on it that I would not want to lose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Try to Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for 5 times.
  6. Release the keys.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ashik, I did what you said and i got a disk insertion error that said the disk i inserted was unreadable by this computer, which is odd since it was set up on this computer. Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Does the HD have an USB Connectivity ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm using firewire but can switch to USB if you'd like.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Connect it with USB and see if your Mac recognize it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope. I got the same message asking me to initialize it or eject it. Saying it didn't recognize the disk.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...Connect it to your Mac using Firewire, if any message appears ignore it. Open Disk Utility from ~/Applications/Utilities/ folder. Choose your external hard disk from the left column and repair the disk and repair permssion. This will take awhile to complete it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried it, but the buttons on disk utility for disk repair and permission don't activate. They stay a light, dull grey and I can't click on them.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...do you have another PC/Mac to try ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah. I just tried it on another Mac. Same story.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You said that you get a message to initialize or eject your hard disk. What happens when you initialize it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't initialize it. I'm afraid it will erase the data on it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm also afraid about the loss of data.So, we can try another method.
Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the external drive
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Let me know how it goes..
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I'll have to get the disk from work tomorrow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...i will wait for you reply..