Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I use mac OS X LEOPARD 10.5. I will soon upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I use mac OS X LEOPARD 10.5. I will soon upgrade to Snow Leopard. I need to buy a new cell phone/smart phone and I strongly prefer the Blackberry to the iPhone. I realize this may be a stupid and obvious question to begin with but (1) how do you know if a phone uses or is configured for a specific operating system or not? Obviously the iPhone is configured for the Mac and Mac apps, including iCal, Entourage, and Mac versions of Windows Office. But if I purchase a Blackberry, how can I be sure it is configured for the Macintosh operating system and that I will be able to support Entourage, syncing w/mac versions of Win. Office, Yahoo messenger which I use on my mac, and supporting various mac apps I want to use, like Facebook for mac, Evernote for Mac, etc. I know that I cannot mix them and the blackberry has to be mac or windows based(2) What do you think is the best Blackberry for mac applications? (3 mgpx cam, qwerty, parent control, wireless, bluetooth, memory, Ver Wireless only,
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Could you please give me the model number of Blackberry that you are going to purchase ?

Edited by Ashik on 11/15/2009 at 9:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ones I am most interested in are Verizon Wireless' Blackberry Tour 9630 smartphone (#1 choice), the LG enV3 in Blue by Verizon Wireless (2nd favorite), and the Blackberry Storm TM 9550. I thought the Storm came out as Storm II this year, but i cannot find it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I agree with your first and third choice but not in second , because i'm not sure you can use LG enV3 on your Mac's application with full functionality.

Mac supports most of all Blackberry device with the help you a little application, Pocket Mac or Missing Sync. I think you'll get PocketMac for free with Blackberry device. If you don't get it you have to buy either Pocket Mac or Missing Sync. I'm not sure which one is best, XXXXX XXXXX can try the trial version of any of two...

Here is the main features of Pocket Mac (From Pocketmac.com)

1) Entourage <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync Entourage 2004 & 2008 Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, E-Mail & Notes with your BlackBerry device. (Does not include Exchange Server.)

2) iCal <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync iCal Calendar and Tasks with your BlackBerry device.

3) iTunes Synchronization - Sync your MP3 music from iTunes to your BlackBerry for tunes "on the go".

4) Mail.app <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync Mail.app email with your BlackBerry device.

5) Now Contact/Up-To-Date <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync Now Contact/Now Up-To-Date Contacts, Calendars & Tasks to your BlackBerry device. (Requires Now Contact & Now Up-To-Date.)

6) Install 3rd Party Applications - You can install 3rd party applications from your Mac to your BlackBerry.

7) Daylite <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync Contacts, Calendars & Tasks to your BlackBerry device.

8) MeetingMaker 8.5 <-> BlackBerry Sync - Sync data from MeetingMaker version 8.5 to your BlackBerry. (8.6/8.7 support coming soon.)

9) Stickies <-> BlackBerry Sync - You can sync Stickies Notes to your BlackBerry device.

10) Password XXXXX - PocketMac For BlackBerry fully supports BlackBerry passwords. Just enter your password XXXXX sync--it's that simple.

11) iPhoto Synchronization - When you run PocketMac for BlackBerry, you can sync photos from iPhoto to your BlackBerry to take them with you.

12) USB Charge While Sync - The moment you plug your USB-supported BlackBerry device into your Mac and PocketMac starts to sync, your BlackBerry device will be automatically recharged.

And here is the features of Missing Sync; (From Markspace.com)

Reliable syncing between BlackBerry and Mac

rim bluetooth syncThe Missing Sync for BlackBerry has earned grand awards and accolades for its reliability and value. For years, The Missing Sync for BlackBerry has provided the best software for synchronization of information and media files between BlackBerry and Mac.

Sync wirelessly via Bluetooth

storm bluetooth sync macDo away with that sync cable. Synchronize your data, information and files wirelessly via Bluetooth between your BlackBerry and Mac. Now you'll have one less cable to remember to bring when you travel, and one less cable cluttering your desk.

Sync automatically with Proximity Sync™

blackberry wireless automatic synchSync without thinking. Proximity Sync technology from Mark/Space uses Bluetooth to automatically and wirelessly sync your BlackBerry and Mac whenever they are close to one another - even when your phone is in your pants pocket or bag.

Sync with Mac apps you already know

<a href=address book ical synchronize" width="50" height="50"/> The Missing Sync works with apps you already use: Microsoft Entourage, Address Book and iCal for contacts, schedule and to dos; iPhoto for pictures; iTunes for music; Entourage, Bare Bones Yojimbo, and Mark/Space Notebook (included) for notes.

Transfer photos to and from your BlackBerry

iphoto blackberry mac syncingThe Missing Sync lets you use your phone as a digital photo wallet and makes your phone's camera more useful. Transfer iPhoto albums from your Mac to your BlackBerry. Save photos you snap with your BlackBerry to iPhoto or a folder on your Mac.

Easily transfer and play videos

blackberry video sync macDrag and drop videos to The Missing Sync and they will be automatically converted and optimized for viewing on your BlackBerry. Now its easy to watch home movies, digital video and podcasts on your phone wherever you go.

Listen to your iTunes music playlists

itunes playlists sync blackberryListen to the music you like, grouped the way you like to hear them. The Missing Sync lets you select playlists, songs and podcasts on your Mac and transfer them to your BlackBerry so you can enjoy your favorite tunes on-the-go.¹

Take Word and Excel docs wherever you go

foldersync for blackberryWith the FolderSync™ feature, its easy to take Microsoft Word and Excel files with you on your phone where you can view and edit them.² So, even if your Mac is back at your desk, The Missing Sync helps you view important documents when you're away.

Keep notes in sync between you phone and Mac

sync edit notes storm boldWherever you take notes, on your BlackBerry or on your Mac, you can keep all your notes in sync in both places. Synchronize notes between your BlackBerry and Microsoft Entourage, Bare Bones Yojimbo or Mark/Space Notebook (included).

Save text messages and call history

sync phone sms logsText messages and call history can contain important and memorable information. Save them to your Mac where you can do more with them. Use your call log to track your time for billing purposes. Grab phone numbers and other info from text messages.

Automatic update alerts for your software

mobile phone sync updatesAt Mark/Space, we are always working to make The Missing Sync and all the features our customers enjoy even better. When an update is ready, The Missing Sync automatically notifies you.

So choose the best application for your Mac and blackberry.

For Pocket Mac : Click Here
For MissingSync : Click Here

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
And to answer to your question, Yes, you can use Blackberry on your Mac like iPhone.

Edited by Ashik on 11/15/2009 at 10:06 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sent you a very very long response thanking you for your WONDERFUL ANSWER, but I don't see it anywhere! Oh Well. I have printed out all the information you sent me and i am about to buy Blackberry phone #1 and go to sleep!!!! In case you did not get my last email, i just mentioned the great future you have with your knowledge and your connections already. Make the right choices and investments, including saving, and you can easily be a millionaire in 20 years. We are only in the beginning of the computer age.I don't know how old you are, but I learned BASIC in high school on Franklin computers and that was BIG TIME! - 25 YEARS AGO. :-) Where will we be in 25 more years????
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I didn't received your last reply....But I thank you very much for your great reply. It was really, really, really great. Thanks a million. Sleep Well ! Good Night ! Sweet Dreams !Smile

Best Regards,