Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I need to install my HP Photosmart 3210xi All-in-One printer

I need to install my HP Photosmart 3210xi All-in-One printer and don't know how.

Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

Do you have the USB Cable came with the printer ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using the 10.4.11 version.
Mac OS X

Yes, I think I have the USB Cable with the printer. I think it is already connected, but I'm not sure.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Here is step-by-step instructions.
  • Connect your Printer to the power outlet with the Power Cord
  • Then connect your printer to your Mac using the USB Cable
  • Turn on your Printer
  • Now, download and install the All In One Printer drivers and software from here or here
  • Install it and restart your Mac
  • Goto System Preferences and open Printers and Faxes
  • Add a new printer and select your printer from the list and continue
  • This should install your printer on to your Mac

Now try a test print...

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik:
I downloaded the printer software and then it asked me for an administrator password. I typed in our 'regular' password XXXXX it said it was incorrect. I have no idea what the password XXXXX I clicked the 'from here' part of your message, I had to download two programs, and then give the password. I'm stuck again.

Help!
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
The administrator password XXXXX XXXXX login password...If you don't remember the password,we can reset it.

Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I do not have the installation disks. I've looked everywhere.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to reset the password XXXXX the disks. We have to do it in hardway.

Try the following steps;
  • Reboot your Mac
  • Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
  • When you see the text prompt, type the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account. Press return key after each line.
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account. Now you can change your old account's password XXXXX this account. Goto System Preferences > User Account and change the password XXXXX your old account. Then log-out and log-in to your old account and install the drivers.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
first, I'm not sure which is the Command key. Is it the key next to the space bar with the apple logo on it? Is it on the left or right? I do not see a 'command' key on the keyboard.

second, when I type the bold printed commands, I assume those are spaces between some of the letters, is that correct?

When I reboot the Mac, how will I get back to you ? I have a a feeling this is not going to go smoothly, sorry.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
"Is it the key next to the space bar with the apple logo on it? Is it on the left or right?"
Yes, its the key with the Apple logo and its on the left.

"I assume those are spaces between some of the letters, is that correct"
Yes, there are space between word/letters.

mount<space>-uw<space>/<enter/return>
rm<space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<enter/return>
shutdown<space>-h<space>now<enter/return>

"When I reboot the Mac, how will I get back to you ?"
Just Add a bookmark of this page or log-in to Justanswer.com and you can see this question under My Questions tab.

Good Luck !
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I really feel like an idiot, but I shut down the computer twice, and also 'restarted' it once, and never got a 'chime', only the sound of the hard drive starting up. I held down the Apple command key and S key and nothing happened. When the computer opened up, it was just the 'home page' with all the icons on it. Is that where I was supposed to be when I pressed the Command key + S ?

Frustrated.

Nancy
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Nancy, restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Command and S keys at the same time. Don't release the keys until you get the Unix window. Let me know how it goes..

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Forgot to ask, can you borrow the Mac OS X installation disk no; 1 from your friends ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have the MAC OX X installation disk. How can I install the printer to my computer?

I'm getting so tired, it's midnight here in LA.

Nancy
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I don't think Mac will allow you to install applications without the correct administrator password. Is there any way to get them..you can ask your friends for it.

Goto Sleep and we can continue tomarrow...Good Night !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What time will you be working tomorrow, Sunday, 11/15?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Its Sunday and time is 2:20 PM in here. You can reply back to me at any time and i will reply as soon as possible when i'm online.

Good Night !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Hope I can find the administrator password.

Good Night!

Nancy
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Good Night !Smile