Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

We just bought an iBook original at a yard sale for my 8 year

We just bought an iBook original at a yard sale for my 8 year old son to work with. Previous owner lost password. Is there anyway to get a new password XXXXX log in? We also did not get any disk with this system.
THank you for any and all help!
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Unfortunately there is no easy way to reset the password XXXXX the disks. We have to do it in hardway.

Try the following steps;
  • Reboot your Mac
  • Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
  • When you see the text prompt, type the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account. Press return key after each line.
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account. Now you can change your old account's password XXXXX this account. Goto System Preferences > User Account and change the password.

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks