Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

after installing an update to iPhoto, our photo library disappeared.

Customer Question

after installing an update to iPhoto, our photo library disappeared. we can still see the pictures by navigating through finder, but cannot view them and their associated photo albums in iPhoto
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Does the iPhoto shows an empty libary after the update ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it has some photos that date back a ways, but no albums. Kind of looks like when I first migrated pictures from my PC to my Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library. Select the option "Choose an iPhoto library" and select the library from ~/Users/[yourname]/Pictures/iPhoto Library. Then rebuild it !

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options....
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.graphic
Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that already and it did not work. iPhoto is not looking at the right folder. As an application that looks into a database, I believe the issue is getting iPhoto to look at the right data, but I cannot figure that out.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Open your home disk, Macintosh HD, open Users folder, open the folder which have your user name, open Pictures folder and you can see the iPhoto libray in there. Just double click on it. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I closed iPhoto and then navigated to the library. Opened it and the same thing, only a small portion of the library was visible.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think the library was corrupted. So all you can do is create a new library and re-import the photos.

Open iPhoto while holding down the Option key. Choose create new library and create a new library with different name. Now hide iPhoto and goto /Users/[your name]/Pictures/iPhoto Library. Then right click (control+click) on the old library file and choose "Show Package Contents". You can see a folder named "Originals". Drag the Originals folder onto the iPhoto icon in your Dock. This imports the original photo files that you imported into the original iPhoto library.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fixed it. Thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad you sorted it out. Thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !Smile

Best Regards,