Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

late 2008 mac ook 13 in, one of the key oard keys not working

late 2008 mac ook 13 in, one of the key oard keys not working , however it does work when using as password XXXXX starting computer, ut once in the letter does not work
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I think that key may be assigned as shortcut to any other actions...So we can try to reset it.
  • Goto Apple Menu and Choose System Preferences
  • Click on the "Keyboard & Mouse "
  • Choose the tab named "Keyboard Shortcuts"
  • Click the "Restore Defaults" button and restart your Mac.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no such luck , key makes a noise , ut not on display , my internet password XXXXX the same letter , so i can not get into my e mails, ut it does work when starting my computer
Okay...Restart in SafeMode and see if its working in SafeMode;

Restart your Mac and Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup and try the key in SafeMode. (Booting into safemode will take 3-15 minutes)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it works in safe mode , the letter B is now working , so what should i do now
Just restart your Mac and let me know if its working or not...(not boot in Safemode)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no not working no letter
We can try Disk Utility in Single User Mode and see if that helps..

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode :

Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see the key is working or not.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did that and it is not working , no letter
Goto System Preferences, open Speech. Click on "Speech Recognition" tab. Under that, change the 'Listening Key' to esc key and turn it off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
copy done that and no go
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.
If the problem solved in new account, you can copy all your old account's files into new account
So goto ~/Users/[youroldaccount]/ and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into new account in ~/Users/[yournewaccount]/

Don't delete any files..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it just started working, the letter B BBBB is now working , thanks very much much apprecaited
Glad it worked. Thanks for Accepting my answer. If you have time, please leave a Positive Feedback to me.

Best Regards,